New future Adult Redfoot pair caregiver

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
Welcome fellow Floridian.
Ad two females at a minimum. Pairs will not work for you.
This is my 7.
2 males with 5 females
If you have 7, then I'll take your word for it. You'd think a pair would make sense. What
happens exactly, (or doesn't happen) when you only have a male and female?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you have 7, then I'll take your word for it. You'd think a pair would make sense. What
happens exactly, (or doesn't happen) when you only have a male and female?
The male will persue the only female 24/7 and make the female very week or even combative enough to bite and fight.
Most times following the females every move, sitting on the food and pushing her out of her favorite sleeping area.

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
I'd be honored to help you not make some of the mistakes that I already have.
Do not hesitate to ask questions.
I've been doing this for about 30 years, but i still also learn from this site on a regular basis.
I appreciate it that very much. Once you introduced a second female, did your male divide his time between the
two, or did he calm down knowing that he now had 'options'. Also, how old and how long is your largest male?
I'm assuming the one in the lowest portion of the photo is one of them. He's a big rascal!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The largest is a female named Julio. (I thought for years that she was a male)
My two males are called #1 and A.
A is a sub adult about 9" and 5 years old. #1 is an adult of 6.5 years and 10.5".
Currently, Julio has started laying eggs.
having multiple females gives any one female a time out period to go hide or eat or relax. And it DOES seem that with extra females most male will stop being so frisky. But during the rainy, summer months, anything goes.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have a little video on YOUTUBE called:
"Redfoot enclosure Florida style".
You may find some helpful tips there from a pen that was very easy and inexpensive to make and is almost maintenance free.
I also still have some things I've been trying to give away for a very long time.....Dog houses for tortoises, etc. If you are interested later...

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
I have a little video on YOUTUBE called:
"Redfoot enclosure Florida style".
You may find some helpful tips there from a pen that was very easy and inexpensive to make and is almost maintenance free.
I also still have some things I've been trying to give away for a very long time.....Dog houses for tortoises, etc. If you are interested later...
I watched your videos. I'll definitely be rewatching them. I particularly like the Baby Tortoise Pen video.