New growth, my Sully :) SMOOTH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bonifay, FL
My Sully has gained another 10 grams since our last update, how's his growth looking? Smooth?
IMAG1275-picsay.jpg

IMAG1270-picsay.jpg

IMAG1269-picsay.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks super smooth, whatever you are doing, keep it up.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Very good looking tort! Good job! I did my best for Cooper but he has some raised scutes. Life goes on. But your fella looks great! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks really good. I love the ones with the high domes like that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I thought he looked slightly pyramided, are they suppose to be completely smooth or is there a slight difference that can be felt but barely seen? Don't get me wrong, he is beautiful, still just trying to learn all I can about the pyramiding and everything else.:D. i got poor advice :p when i purchased my leopard and am now trying to stop the problem.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
wellington said:
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I thought he looked slightly pyramided, are they suppose to be completely smooth or is there a slight difference that can be felt but barely seen? Don't get me wrong, he is beautiful, still just trying to learn all I can about the pyramiding and everything else.:D. i got poor advice :p when i purchased my leopard and am now trying to stop the problem.

There is no pyramiding on this fella I don't believe. Hope your leo turns around for u! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
cemmons12 said:
wellington said:

There is no pyramiding on this fella I don't believe. Hope your leo turns around for u! :)

I found this forum and Tom's threads on pyramiding and his new growth is coming in smooth, I think. Like I said, still learning all I can.:D So, can you feel the space in between each scute? If I ever get a second tort. I want to be able to grow him smooth.
Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:

Barb, pyramiding is when each individual scute forms its own cone or "pyramid". The over all effect looks like a knobby dirt bike tire in a bad case, like this one. This pic is my Daisy at three months old when I first got her. She is now 4 years old and smoothing nicely. She was kept dry, on rabbit pellets, with no water bowl, before I got her.
5mqzt.jpg

If you look at nikki's tortoise in profile you can see that each scute blends seamlessly into the next with no ridges or notches between. It basically looks as smooth as a cue ball. This is as close to perfection as any I've seen. Usually at the start of pyramiding you will first see a notch between the scutes. This is the first layer of upward, instead of flat, growth. I see none of that here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks Tom. I did know how the pyramiding look, unfortunately, but I didn't know, also unfortunately, how smooth, smooth was suppose to be. Wasn't sure if you could feel each scute and the space in between or not. Tatum of course you can feel every raised scute:p, wasn't sure if you could still feel each scute even on a smooth tort. The coloring on some torts or maybe the picture/angle itself sometimes looks pyramided to me, ever so slightly. But now I know different, Thank you for explaining:D

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Thanks Tom, thats is the reason I posted, my Sully looks perfect, he feels perfect but I just want the assurance, I'm still learning too.. Your caresheet is awesome.. Thanks to everyone else too, all comments are appreciated

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Tom, can you correct pyramiding totally or as they get bigger will it just look better if no more forms. Willies is Not horrible but I hope we dont have much more...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of them start to smooth out at around a foot, even if conditions don't change. This corresponds to the size that people typically start seeing them above ground in the wild. I have seen some small ones with significant pyramiding turn out to be gorgeous adults. Florida and its humid, warm climate, is about as ideal as conditions can get for improving previously imperfect conditions. By the time Willie is two feet long, I'll bet you'll hardly be able to tell he ever had any pyramiding.

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
I think that little tort looks wonderful!!!

I'm glad Mary T posed the question to Tom, too. My little Sulcata yearling was a rescue, and had 'previously imperfect conditions' and he has slight pyramiding... I look forward to when Sheldon's shell is smooth. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.