New here and to tortoise life

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbazoo

5 Year Member
I have finally gotten my first tort. I have had reptiles for over 13yrs. Snakes, lizards, but just got my first tort. It's a yellow footed.
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why in the two weeks I've had him he's developed thicker lines on his shell? I've been able to find information on thickening scutes but this looks like the opposite of that like the scutes are sinking in. He eats great several kinds of greens, the occasional fruit and daily soaks.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Welcome to the forum! Would you be able to post pictures of your tortoise so we can get a better idea of what you are talking about? We would love to see your little guy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi bubbazoo:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

The space between the scutes is where the actual shell growth occurs. Sound like the tortoise is growing.

bubbazoo

5 Year Member
Here is a pic of him... sorta looks like the leading used for stain glass work.
My name's Jen. I'm from Northern PA. tort.jpgtort.jpgtort.jpgtort.jpgtort.jpgtort.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jen:

You can use tinypic.com or photobucket to get your pictures here on the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How very strange...when you posted "here's a picture" there was no picture. But now, an hour or so later, there are several of the same picture in the post.

What you're seeing is new growth. However, you're keeping the tortoise too dry, and that's why the existing parts of the shell seem sunken in. Its not the new growth that's raised, its the old growth that's sunken.

Please explain how you are keeping the baby or shoot us some pictures of the habitat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since your question has already been answered, I'll just say: Hello and welcome.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome..
is the beak normal? he also looks thin.. needs more meat on its legs.. but sounds like its eating well..
How much do you feed?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought it was the egg tooth, but I could be wrong.

FresnoTurtles

10 Year Member!
Fresno, Ca
Welcome. What kind of substrate do you have for the yellowfoot? The beak does look a little odd. It could be the angle of the camera showing the eggtooth. Can you take a close-up?

bubbazoo

5 Year Member
Yes he still has the egg tooth. For now I have him in a 10 gal tank with a shallow water dish and a food dish. he also has a hallow log for hiding in and plastic plants for shelter. he has full spectrum UVB and is in a window, one side of tank is about 85 the other house temp. he has coconut fiber mulch that is dampened by the water dish. I know a fish tank is not ideal but I have not had him long and wanted to be sure of sizes and things before building a tort cage. He is still very small about the size of the palm of my hand.
I feed him once a day about the size of my palm.. so same size as he is of mixed greens, veggies, occasional fruit. I do have the dry tort food as well but he's showed no interest in it even wet, he seems to like carrots the best.
I need to be sure he's safe from my children, dogs and cats.
Ideas and advice appreciated. I certainly don't want to cause him any stress or harm. He does seem to spend a good 90% of the time in the log.. I read that they feel safe when hiding, is that right? Should he be out more?
I think I covered everyone's questions! Thanks for your help! torty.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jen:

An aquarium is just fine, but pour some water into the habitat. Pour a very large glass of water, or a small pitcherfull. You want that substrate to be very moist (not swampy, but moist clear through to the bottom). Then you probably should partially cover the top to keep the humidity inside. You should soak him every day. I usually put the babies in warm water to soak and then I go about the morning business of washing and chopping tortoise food. By the time I'm ready to put the food out, the babies are ready to get out of the water.

Good luck with your baby. He's very special.

Status
Not open for further replies.