New here, introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschetterb

5 Year Member
Hello all, I am the owner of a two year old sulcata named Gandalf. I live in Oklahoma City[/align] and purchased him last summer from a local pet shop. Through research I have since learned that everything they told me was wrong! He had some pyramiding already going on when I bought him, and hopefully I've stopped, or slowed that process down considerably.

He lives outside, in an enclosure I built last summer and has done very well.

His diet consists pretty much exclusively of bermuda gras, fescue, and timothy hay that I throw in every couple of weeks. I throw in weeds of various sorts as I work in the yard as well. He has a converted dog house that he sleeps in, that is heated during the winter months.

Attachments

• 2013-05-28 10.55.01.jpg
    2013-05-28 10.55.01.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
  • 2013-05-28 10.55.18.jpg
    2013-05-28 10.55.18.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 61
  • 2013-05-28 10.56.21.jpg
    2013-05-28 10.56.21.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66
  • 2013-05-28 10.56.50.jpg
    2013-05-28 10.56.50.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You've made a nice place for your tortoise to live. I really like the waterer. Have you ever put a temperature probe inside the dog house in the heat of the day? I always place my tortoise houses in the shade so they don't become ovens in the sun.

I see some nice growth lines on your little guy. When I got my sulcata he was pretty pyramided too. But now, many years later, all he has are some little knobs all over his carapace.

tschetterb

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
You've made a nice place for your tortoise to live. I really like the waterer. Have you ever put a temperature probe inside the dog house in the heat of the day? I always place my tortoise houses in the shade so they don't become ovens in the sun.

I see some nice growth lines on your little guy. When I got my sulcata he was pretty pyramided too. But now, many years later, all he has are some little knobs all over his carapace.

Thanks...I dug out the little pond earlier this Spring, and he's been in and out a few times. There is a digital thermometer inside the house. It usually reads 80's during the afternoon hours...my house faces North/South so he gets good sun from the late morning to mid-afternoon. Around the corner of the house it is pretty much all shade throughout the day.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I like the new home you have provided, but i would suggest some other type of shade for him besides his home. Something for him to be out in the weather, but out of the sun.

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Michigan
I love his little pond! Is there a little waterfall? Do you have a pump?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
nice area you have there, love the pond. Your sulcata does have some pyramiding, as you can see. You should try and add some opituna cactus in there for some extra nutrience. Cactus gives some nice calcium. Do you have any calcium, mazuri, or grassland tortoise feed for your guy? what are his stats; weight, length etc.

tschetterb

5 Year Member
I am looking into a couple of bush/flower options for shade, but the whole side of the house, which you cant see in the pic, is part of the enclosure...that's where I have a couple of holes dug, pots half buried, etc. The pond has a small pump that creates the waterfall effect. I add water every other day or so to make sure its fresh. For calcium I've used cuttlebone, powder without D-3 (dont like the powder because its hard to regulate how much he's getting), those tortoise calcium squares. I havent really settled on any one method.

When I got him his shell was a bit soft underneath, and the lady told me she raised him on a pellet diet.

clucey

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. I am new here too and your enclosure looks fun...Im thinkin bout droppin in. Jk ...Even just sticking around and reading is so helpful. Aloha to Gandalf and the gang.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Welcome! Awesome place you have there! I wish i can do the same for my tort but i live in the city and believe it or not, RACCOONS and CATS ARE EVERYWHERE! >.<

tschetterb

5 Year Member
You guys can correct me if I am wrong, but I have taken a less is more approach to how he is being raised. He only eats the grass in his enclosure, I keep fresh water available at all times, and let him regulate how much he eats, drinks, soaks, etc. He pretty much does what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.