New here!

Tinman

Hi, I'm Paul.
I live near Bath in the UK. I have just bought 2 horse field tortoises for me and my 2 daughters, they are apparently 2 and 3 years old( the tortoises) and supposedly a male and a female ! The larger one is supposedly a 3 year old male and the smaller one a 2 year old female the smaller ones shell is quite lumpy so I hope she will be ok, I don't think they have had a very good diet as the previous owner only gave them pellet food. They will be getting plenty of fresh food now and lots of exercise as my daughters chase them around the house :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Russians generally don't do well in pairs. They don't see other tortoises as "friends". They see them as intruders, competitors and combatants. They should each have their own enclosure.

And tortoises should not be down on the floor. It is a very dangerous practice and often leads to harm to the tortoise.

Glad you found us and I hope we can help you avoid any injuries or harm to your new tortoises.

Tinman

Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

Russians generally don't do well in pairs. They don't see other tortoises as "friends". They see them as intruders, competitors and combatants. They should each have their own enclosure.

And tortoises should not be down on the floor. It is a very dangerous practice and often leads to harm to the tortoise.

Glad you found us and I hope we can help you avoid any injuries or harm to your new tortoises.

Them seem quite friendly at the moment cuddled up in the corner of their bed. I'll keep my eye on them and hope they don't fight! time will tell. They are on top of a small sideboard in a "tortoise table" I wanted to put them in a vivarium but reading its not a good idea. They are only on the floor for supervised exercise. Thanks for the tips :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Paul, and welcome to the Forum!