New Herman tort owner

Lameslob

Location (City and/or State)
North Yorkshire
Hi everyone, I’ve just got a 1 year old Herman tortoise called Mallory. I’m looking for advice on things to add to the enclosure which will provide them some stimulation, climbing frame, live plants etc. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_3726.jpeg
    IMG_3726.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hi @Lameslob, can you describe what sort of substrate you have there?

Its really hard to tell from the photo, but I think that water dish looks ramped and deep?? If so, its a drowning hazard and you should remove ASAP, replace with a terra cotta saucer dropped into the subsrate.

Please read this first, it will help stop a lot of problems before they start...

Also adding @Lyn W who is resident UK expert.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone, I’ve just got a 1 year old Herman tortoise called Mallory. I’m looking for advice on things to add to the enclosure which will provide them some stimulation, climbing frame, live plants etc. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new baby.

Start here:

This is the thread that SinLA meant to link for you. There is also a temperate species care sheet and a heating/lighting breakdown at the bottom for you.

Lameslob

North Yorkshire
Hi @Lameslob, can you describe what sort of substrate you have there?

Its really hard to tell from the photo, but I think that water dish looks ramped and deep?? If so, its a drowning hazard and you should remove ASAP, replace with a terra cotta saucer dropped into the subsrate.

Please read this first, it will help stop a lot of problems before they start...

Also adding @Lyn W who is resident UK expert.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes the bowl is ramped, it was the one supplied by the store. I’ll be sure to replace that today, thanks.

The substrate is again what was supplied and its hemp bark. I was researching orchid bark is better so I intended on also getting some today.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
I'm in the UK too (S Wales) but while I appreciate SinLa's confidence in me I am far from being an 'expert' . However I have been a member for 9 years now so can generally point you in the right direction for finding advice on the forum, or suggest places for supplies in the UK. The members here have helped me keep my tort happy and healthy for that long so you're in the best place to do that for your tort too.
If you follow the advice on Tom's thread above and pay particular attention to the section on Temperate species your tort should thrive but if there is anything you need particular help with or clarification then feel free to ask as many questions as necessary.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply.

Yes the bowl is ramped, it was the one supplied by the store. I’ll be sure to replace that today, thanks.

The substrate is again what was supplied and its hemp bark. I was researching orchid bark is better so I intended on also getting some today.
Hello from Devon, and welcome. My brother used to live in Riccall, but is now living in France permanently. I have a Hermann's tortoise, Zola, who has just had his 23rd birthday - we got him when he was about 1, and at that time they were quite rare in the UK, apart from elderly ones. This forum didn't exist, and there was very little help around-we had to just hope for the best ! So you are lucky that there are people here who really know a lot about any sort of tortoise problem, and are very kind and helpful. I hope you are going to send photos of Mallory soon !
I am not an expert, but one thing I wish now is that I had weighed Zola regularly from the start every week. Also I think it's a good idea to put the tortoise on a sheet of paper and draw round the edge of the shell regularly - it's interesting how the shell grows.
Angie