What is willie ?

Willie79

Location (City and/or State)
Chelmsford
Hello, I’ve just been given a tortoise , I was told he was a Herman , I don’t believe he is. I’m a newbie and would like advice please ? He’s 14 , he’s lives in a viv , never hibernated etc and lived on kale. Now this little boys here, he needs spoiling so any help please much appreciated my new baby is going to have a great life from here on in !

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a minimum of a 4x8 enclosure.
Basking bulb should be an incandescent flood bulb, Amazon has them, at least 65 watt.
A tube florescent uvb bulb
And possibly a ceramic heat emitter for added day heat and night heat if needed
Day temp should range from 75-80
Basking temp 95-100
Night temp 60's. 70 if he does not brumate for winter
Humidity 30-50%
Fine grade orchid bark for substrate
Clay saucer he can fit in for water.
Hide for sleeping.
Diet must consist of a whole lot more than just kale
Broad leafy weeds if possible this time of year, spring mix, cactus pads, ridicchio, mustard greens, romaine, dandelions, just to name a few.
Read the caresheet under the Mediterranean section

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Congrats on your Horsefield Tortoise (called a Russian Tortiose in the US). Here is a great place to start:

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello, I’ve just been given a tortoise , I was told he was a Herman , I don’t believe he is. I’m a newbie and would like advice please ? He’s 14 , he’s lives in a viv , never hibernated etc and lived on kale. Now this little boys here, he needs spoiling so any help please much appreciated my new baby is going to have a great life from here on in !
Welcome from Devon. Thank you so much taking on this poor little chap and looking to give him a better life. You said he had never hibernated - it ocurred to me that you might think you should hibernate him this winter - if so, may I say that in my opinion, it would be better to give him a chance to improve his health and environment first, and then maybe hibernate him next winter, if you want to. Our Hermanns tortoise is 23, and has never been hibernated - he is very healthy and energetic - it isn't absolutely essential to do so.
I am sure he is going to enjoy his life with you, and it will be fun for you seeing him make progress. What is his name?
Best wishes from Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Sorry - it's getting late, and I didn't pay enough attention to your post to register that his name is Willie .I'm so glad you found this forum - people here are very knowledgable and able to give you the proper advice - unlike many of those on other forums - and you will find them very kind and helpful.
It would be helpful to have a clearer photo of him, especially his face.
Angie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum! Your little guy looks like he has had a hard life. Please follow all the great advice you have been given so far, but most importantly, he needs rehydration daily with soaks in warmish water with the level up to where his bottom and top shells meet, for at least one hour every day. Start now!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Willie may be suspicious of new foods, especially after living on kale all the time - try chopping up new things, and offer just very small amounts,mixed in with the kale, to start with, maybe just one or two new items at a time.
Angie