new hermanns tortoise owner

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to tortoise forum!
Please give us pictures of your enclosure and tort.
If you got it from petsmart or petco, it is wild caught and 5-10+ years old, and needs a 4x8 foot enclosure.
In the meantime, please take a look at these links and come back with questions.
Sticky: HERMANN'S TORTOISE CARE SHEET *UPDATED
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Sticky:-HERMANN'S-TORTOISE-CARE-SHEET-*UPDATED.101410/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

JaVan

British columbia Canada
Well if your looking for advice the tortoise in my profile pic is a hermanns, mine is in a 40 gallon tank and coconut husk for substrate, what good about coconut husk is it doesn't get mold fast at all. Or you can do 50% play sand and 50% top soil. For food I'd get him/her on weeds and hay if none are close to you just buy a pack of salad, don't forget to check if all the stuff is safe for your tort, now when you feed them don't give peas ,bean or any thing high in protein. Another thing about food is it needs to be lightly dusted in calcium powder for a strong shell, and don't for get vitamin powder, I dust food with calcium on Wednesday then Friday vitamins. Now for lighting you need a basking zone which needs a heat lamp, and a uvb lamp for a strong shell. Now for hides I have a open log like one and a more closed humid rock one, for food dishes just use a little flatish bowl and for a water dish just use a less flatish plate so he/she can get in and out as they please! Now safety, make sure there's nothing they can climb on and fall off, make sure there's no cramped gaps they can get stuck in, especially around heat sources. Extra supplies you may need a auto mister if your habitat get dry quickly, and I would get Zoo Med grass land tortoise food, just put it in water and let it soak up then feed the tort. I use that food brand alot and I would highly suggest it. One last thing is don't feed fruits! From what I know feed fruit 2-1 times a year!:eek: So yeah I hope this helps!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok, for one, they need more then just a pack of lettuce. A variety of greens are needed like mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens etc. Iceburg lettuce is not good because it has no nutrional value. Second, no sand, this can cause impaction which could kill you tort. Coco core, peatmoss, orchard bark and a few others, are all good. Please read the links you were given. They will tell you most that you need. Come back with questions and pictures of your tort and enclosure and someone will help you

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome! Take a look at the two threads posted by TechnoCheese above. Once you’ve digested them, come back with some pictures of your setup.