New & improved setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mission Viejo, CA
Chewy was in a 20 gallon tank about a week ago, but I recently upgraded him to a 55 gallon and he LOVES it. :) he loves all the extra room he has now to roam around. I was able to stablize the temps with just one CHE and a basking bulb. The side with his water and food is at 85 during the day and 80 at night, the basking spot is at 105 during the day and 90 at night and his house is at 95 during the day and about 87 at night. Also, the humidity stays at about 70-80% all day. I am very happy with how it all turned out. :) below is a picture!
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Be careful the humidity doesn't escape and ruin your tv!

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
theelectraco said:
Be careful the humidity doesn't escape and ruin your tv!

Don't worry, the top of the tank is covered in aluminum made to fit just right. :)

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Do you have a pic of the top? Where do you get aluminum cut? That's a good idea.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

7oasty23

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
Do you have a pic of the top? Where do you get aluminum cut? That's a good idea.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

It's pretty easy, with the right kind of blade you can do it with a number of household saws. You can also get it cut by a waterjet machine. Really any machine or fab shop could do it for you for very little money.

After looking at it though, I suspect it's some sort of steel, probably stainless.

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
theelectraco said:

image.jpg
Here is a picture of the top. My dad cut out the holes in the aluminum with a hole saw. Really quick and easy and it keeps all the humidity in really really well. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Looks very cool. Haven't seen that done before.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Love4tortoises said:
theelectraco said:

Here is a picture of the top. My dad cut out the holes in the aluminum with a hole saw. Really quick and easy and it keeps all the humidity in really really well. :)

Are you sure it's not steel, a plain hole bit would just crack aluminum, it's a really brittle metal unless it's an aluminum alloy?

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
theelectraco said:
Looks very cool. Haven't seen that done before.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

Thank you. My dad is really good with ideas on stuff like this so he made it happen. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it turns out that it holds in both heat and humidity super well. Very happy with the outcome! :)

7oasty23 said:
Love4tortoises said:
theelectraco said:

Are you sure it's not steel, a plain hole bit would just crack aluminum, it's a really brittle metal unless it's an aluminum alloy?

I'm positive that it is aluminum. It is called Diamond Plate Aluminum. You can look it up on google and purchase it from Industrial Metal Supplies. :)

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
lkwagner said:
Id rather just watch the torts instead of that tv lol

What's funny is that I never really actually use the tv anyway! I am definitely more interested in my animals! :p They are SO much more entertaining!

Urtle

5 Year Member
Looks great! Chewy is gonna be very happy from now on :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very nice. Please post some pics when its all finished too. Love to see it with the water bowl, more substrate and any decorations. Oh yeah, and it wouldn't hurt to show the tortoise too. :)

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
Tom said:
Very nice. Please post some pics when its all finished too. Love to see it with the water bowl, more substrate and any decorations. Oh yeah, and it wouldn't hurt to show the tortoise too. :)

The water bowl is down at the end. Its a little hard to see because of the humidity. Chewy was sleeping when I decided to take the pic, of course. :p I will be taking more once I get some decorations. Are there some decorations that you can recommend? I am in fear of him flipping himself over so I don't want to put things in there that can allow him to do that...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Small potted plants look nice, add humidity and give him somewhere to hide behind. I've seen other people use pothos and spiderplants. Since its potted, he won't be able to eat too much or trample it. Half log hides are nice too.

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
Tom said:
Small potted plants look nice, add humidity and give him somewhere to hide behind. I've seen other people use pothos and spiderplants. Since its potted, he won't be able to eat too much or trample it. Half log hides are nice too.

The humidity is already at 80-85% all day long. I don't think I could get it any higher. I will definitely look into getting him some potted plants, though. That's a good idea. And maybe some small, flatter rocks, too. :) Thank you!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I love the diamond plate aluminum! What a great solution. Thanks for posting

squancho

5 Year Member
Aluminum is anything but brittle, its one of Earths most malleable metals. You can cut it with any circular saw, trick is, bump saw on and run teeth through a piece of wax. Whether it be an old candle or chunknof parrafin. Will then cut aluminum like a razor.
But maybe safer if uou just rub wax on blade if you arent power tool friendly. Nice setup, i used to use/make alum lids for all my reptile enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.