Rate my Setup:

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
Here's an example of my bin setup.. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451779629.635390.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451779720.340366.jpg even with a bit of the lid cut out, it still holds good humidity.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Heading to a store in the morning an hour away from my house to pickup a new tank to seperate them. I really do love them both soooo much and want the best for both of them. Was just upset that I had to go out and spend more money on another tank which is for the best anyway.

As for the tank lid, there is foil across to improve humidity for tortoise. Will this work for longterm? or will i need to improvise a new lid to keep humidity?
If you decide on another tank, look at the screen covers that they have there to fit different size tanks. They are framed and hinged so you have easy access, and they are designed for the lamps to sit on top of them so no fire hazard. That type of screen cover is what I have and i love it! It was easy to cover and insulate it too

Pearly

5 Year Member
TImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451781356.843151.jpg this was my humble beginning large plastic open top container, was completely clueless on lighting and how to attach light/heat elements, improvised like a coocoonuts

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451781675.243078.jpg step by step, little improvements ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451781776.057260.jpg then feeling bolder and trying bioactive substrate , ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451781882.776843.jpg then playing more with substrate and different plants ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451782033.818078.jpg then finding way to keep it from heat/humidity loss. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451782082.780594.jpg with this result at last! 80F in cool end , and these are probe readings from the inside of the hide. I'm showing you all this to reassure you that most of us have gone through some sort of a mill this or the other way. As long as you keep them safe, warm and fed well you can keep playing/adding/changing things. My latest thing will be most likely insulating 3 sides of the tank for the winter as I'm noticing temps dropping just a little. May also switch the bulbs sround some, but you see, now I'm so much more comfortable doing things and can anticipate some outcomes of some of my interventions and that feels so much better than a feeling of a deer hit with headlights:). Patience, my Friend! And don't forget to enjoy you beautiful pets in the process of making those imorovements