Coco Coir and salcutas

Status
Not open for further replies.

tv_mikey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami Lakes,Fl
I just put some Coco Coir for the first time in my torts enclosure. Are there any problems that i should look for with Coco Coir and Sulcatas?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you pack it down with your hand it will be less messy. And feed them on a lid or very shallow bowl to reduce the amount of accidental ingestion.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
thats all i use and the only problem i ever have is when Cooper is running back and forth to get someones attention and he will get it in his water dish. thats pretty messy so i moved it to another corner cause he onlys runs in the front of his habitat and that solved the problem for the most part. and i feed him on a dish so he dont eat any of the coir.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have used it for years prior to my sulcatas going outside and never had an issue. Like any substrate there will be some things to work around. Just do what other have said and feed on a dish or other items to avoid them tracking the coir into there food.

I have my box turtle's on plain dirt with moss on top of that and because they like the dig down into the dirt I am always changing out there food and water bowl because they get the dirt ever where but no biggy easy thing to do...

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
I keep a piece of slate down and than put the lid/dish for food on that so they track some of the coco off. I also keep a small paint brush and squirt bottle to dust things off and keep things wet.

I also had the water bowl in a travel zone and what a mess, moved it away from the "sidewalk" and now it stays reasonably clean for the day.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Thats All That I Use With My Sullie, Its Great And Holds In Moisture :)
Just Make Sure You Have About 3-4 inches of it ay\t least so he can burrow and get comfy

tv_mikey

5 Year Member
Miami Lakes,Fl
Is it ok if he eats some of the coco? I notice that some of it gets on his food.

M

Maggie Cummings

That's why I don't like it and don't use it and others told you to feed him on a dish so coir doesn't get in his food. It won't hurt him tho...

kevguam

5 Year Member
Sorry for stealing ur thread what about cypress mulch I use it in all my other reptiles right now is it ok to use for sullys or should just go with Co Co coir

Status
Not open for further replies.