new indian star owner, HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxrayzer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I finally got the Indian Stars yesterday (5 of them, ~4 inches big)
I am keeping them for now in a 40 gallon terrarium until I build a turtle table as soon as this semester is over with in college. The substrate is eco earth coconut fibers and there is a damp hideout on one side. I am currently using zoo med reptisun 5.0 UVB tropical lamp and a infrared 150watt heat emitter on the other end of the tank. The heated side is around 90 degrees F and room temperature is around 74 F.

My problem right now is that they are not eating very much if at all (a few bites here and there). I am feeding them mustard greens and other leafy greens. Also, they are mostly congregated in the damp hideout most of the day and don't seem to move out often. I am starting to get worried even though its only been the 2nd day since they arrived. There has been no symptoms of illness as far as I can see. Do you guys think the setup is ok and the tortoises will eventually be comfortable and start eating? Advise will be much appreciated!!
Jason W

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Jason,
Your temperatures aren't bad, but is the 90F under the basking lamp or the warm end as a whole? The 74F is fine for a night time temperature, but the cool end during the day should be around 80F.
Also it sounds like you don't have enough visible light during the day with just the UVB tube. Your basking lamp should be visible light and not the infrared bulb. A regular incandescent bulb will work fine for a basking light during the day.
If you can post a picture of your set-up that would help us see what might be going on that you need to change.

Danny

gxrayzer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Dan, the warm side close to the heat emitter is 90F, if it is too high, maybe I should try 100watts instead?

I haven't really thought about the cool end of the tank during the day until now, what can I do to manipulate the temperature to 80F at that end? It probably would not work out in turns of heating bills if I were to ramp up the whole house temperature to 80F but I figure since the cool side is relatively close to the heat emitter, it may be higher than room temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.