Getting an Indian star

georgeandbessy

Hi I am thinking of getting an Indian star or a leopard hatching. I have seen slot of these tortoises but they are always pyramided. I wondered if anyone had any information about these breeds and how to keep them healthy :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Hot and humid. You need a closed chamber to raise smooth stars or leopards.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Also it is important to know your source. Make sure they were started humid. I have a few leopard hatchlings left, if you decide to go with leopard.

AriadneHam

So if you want to have a Indian star tortoise, you're going to have to invest some time and money into husbandry of the animal. Indian stars are notorious for being temperamental to climate change. You have to keep them at a consistent warm temp and humidity for them to thrive. Consider where you live first and how you can maintain a setup like that before buying one. Also you mentioned pyramiding with Indian stars. Some studies have shown that a bit of pyramiding within Indian stars is going to happen no matter what. It's naturally occurring. I'm not saying that all Indian stars are gonna have pyramiding, but it is a common trait among the species.

As for leopard tortoises, you have to think of the long term for upkeep. Leopard tortoises can get pretty big, usually ranging between 14-18inches in length, that's a heavy tortoise. Now it will take several years to get that big, but do you have a place to house the tortoise once it gets big. Plus the bigger the tortoise the more work/ money it takes to feed/care/ clean up after. As for pyramiding, I'm not 100% on whether that's naturally occurring, but I think leopards have a higher tendency to have it??

I hope this doesn't dissuade you from getting either tort. Both breeds have pro and cons to keeping them, but are so worth it when you get to see them grow old with you.

Let us know any updates or questions about the breeds and what you decide to go with.

georgeandbessy

So if you want to have a Indian star tortoise, you're going to have to invest some time and money into husbandry of the animal. Indian stars are notorious for being temperamental to climate change. You have to keep them at a consistent warm temp and humidity for them to thrive. Consider where you live first and how you can maintain a setup like that before buying one. Also you mentioned pyramiding with Indian stars. Some studies have shown that a bit of pyramiding within Indian stars is going to happen no matter what. It's naturally occurring. I'm not saying that all Indian stars are gonna have pyramiding, but it is a common trait among the species.

As for leopard tortoises, you have to think of the long term for upkeep. Leopard tortoises can get pretty big, usually ranging between 14-18inches in length, that's a heavy tortoise. Now it will take several years to get that big, but do you have a place to house the tortoise once it gets big. Plus the bigger the tortoise the more work/ money it takes to feed/care/ clean up after. As for pyramiding, I'm not 100% on whether that's naturally occurring, but I think leopards have a higher tendency to have it??

I hope this doesn't dissuade you from getting either tort. Both breeds have pro and cons to keeping them, but are so worth it when you get to see them grow old with you.

Let us know any updates or questions about the breeds and what you decide to go with.
Money and space aren't really an issue. Which would you recommend? Also which are easiest to breed? :)

AriadneHam

Money and space aren't really an issue. Which would you recommend? Also which are easiest to breed? :)

I recommend starting out with a leopard tortoise. They are just easier to take care in comparison to the needs of an Indian star. definitely leopards are easier to breed.

However if you are dead set on a star tortoise. Might I suggest getting a Burmese star? They are a lot more robust and can probably handle England weather much better than a Indian star. They are a bit pricer than an Indian but are just a lot easier to take care of, plus I think they look prettier overall, but that's just me.

If you'd like I can give you more info on them.

Here's a picture of a Burmese star as a hatchling and adult.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 11