New Indian Star Owner

Bash82

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi,

I'll be getting an Indian Star hatchling from a well respected breeder here in the UK towards the end of August/beginning of September. I've read a lot of information including a care sheet from the breeder and Toms guides on here...surprisingly they're not too dissimilar!

I would like to check the following equipment before I go ahead and purchase, I would like to have everything setup and running so I can adjust temperatures, humidity etc well before he arrives:

5x2x2 plastic vivarium - I'm hoping this will last 18 months or so before I upgrade to a bigger enclosure
Arcadia T5 12% Desert Luminize approximately half the length of the enclosure - This is controllable by an app and I can ramp up/down rather than just on/off
Arcadia LED Jungle Dawn Luminize - Again I can ramp this up/down and link to the T5 to properly replicate sunrise/sunset
Evo III Microclimate thermostat - Two dimming channels and an on/off
Arcadia 75W floodlight
CHE for background/night heat
Orchid Bark for substrate

I think that's the main things (got a small ceramic plate for water, will bathe everyday for 30 mins, will get calcium powder), I'm going to include a humid hide (no moss) and keep the temps as per Toms guide and humidity at 80%+ in the entire enclosure. I've got some seeds on the way to grow a selection of safe plants/weeds and I live in a fairly rural location so will hopefully be able to pick wild.

A couple of questions, how do I hang the lights & heater in a vivarium to ensure that I get the correct UV and heat under the basking lamp as most brackets seem to be fixed so would be a set height from the substrate? If I created a little mount then it would bring him closer to both UVB & heat?

Sorry for the long post, I just want to try to get everything right and not introduce any problems.

Thanks

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Your thermometer will quide you with the height of your basking lamp. For your UV meter, the only way to be certain of the correct height is by using a solarmeter. You can also rely on the Arcadia lighting guide but it doesn't produce perfect results in all scenarios.

Many member use chains to hang and adjust their lamps.

Bash82

UK
Thanks for the reply, I'll use the thermometer I was just trying to figure out the best way of adjusting the height of both.

Does the equipment list look OK?

LucyPink

Derbyshire
Hi,

I'll be getting an Indian Star hatchling from a well respected breeder here in the UK towards the end of August/beginning of September. I've read a lot of information including a care sheet from the breeder and Toms guides on here...surprisingly they're not too dissimilar!

I would like to check the following equipment before I go ahead and purchase, I would like to have everything setup and running so I can adjust temperatures, humidity etc well before he arrives:

5x2x2 plastic vivarium - I'm hoping this will last 18 months or so before I upgrade to a bigger enclosure
Arcadia T5 12% Desert Luminize approximately half the length of the enclosure - This is controllable by an app and I can ramp up/down rather than just on/off
Arcadia LED Jungle Dawn Luminize - Again I can ramp this up/down and link to the T5 to properly replicate sunrise/sunset
Evo III Microclimate thermostat - Two dimming channels and an on/off
Arcadia 75W floodlight
CHE for background/night heat
Orchid Bark for substrate

I think that's the main things (got a small ceramic plate for water, will bathe everyday for 30 mins, will get calcium powder), I'm going to include a humid hide (no moss) and keep the temps as per Toms guide and humidity at 80%+ in the entire enclosure. I've got some seeds on the way to grow a selection of safe plants/weeds and I live in a fairly rural location so will hopefully be able to pick wild.

A couple of questions, how do I hang the lights & heater in a vivarium to ensure that I get the correct UV and heat under the basking lamp as most brackets seem to be fixed so would be a set height from the substrate? If I created a little mount then it would bring him closer to both UVB & heat?

Sorry for the long post, I just want to try to get everything right and not introduce any problems.

Thanks
I'm also considering one around that time, most likely from the same breeder. I've kept Hermanni Boettgeri for almost 20 years and always wanted an Indian Star. Which brand of plastic vivarium are you thinking of purchasing? I've been considering them too to help with humidity.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks for the reply, I'll use the thermometer I was just trying to figure out the best way of adjusting the height of both.

Does the equipment list look OK?
Hello!
Chains and screw-in rings with carabine are easy to adjust. Also, you can get a rope tension kit for curtains (like this: https://amzn.eu/d/07Hr2rDB).

Equipment list looks good enough. But you may need two ceramic heat emitters for even heating of the enclosure. The thermostat is cool, however, a bit an overkill: you don't need a dimmer for a basking lamp (using two different wattage lamps for summer/winter is better because dimming changes lamp output spectrum), ceramic heat emitters work fine with on/off thermostats (very precise temperature control with pulse thermostats is not really necessary). As you are getting top-notch equipment, I would suggest to get a Solarmeter 6.5 for measuring UVB - it gives so much peace of mind.

Also, you can get a shorter UVB tube - 24" is enough for the basking area. Jungle Dawn should light 2/3 - 3/4 of the enclosure (while these are cool and bright lamps they are still not as bright as sunlight).

And, of course, don't forget about timer (smart socket/dimming switch or a simple mechanical) for the basking bulb.