New leopard tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
[/font]Everybody likes to see pics of leopards, here are a couple of pics of my newest. A female, 14" long and about 18 pounds.
000_2656.jpg

000_2649.jpg

000_2640.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Looking good :) Is Leo fever going around Lot of leo's latey I love it :tort:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Great tortoise! What history do you have on her? As far as what conditions she grew up in, etc...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Neal said:
Great tortoise! What history do you have on her? As far as what conditions she grew up in, etc...

She's from Florida, from a single leopard family. Her previous owner used her for little local reptile exhibitions. The only time she's been bred was last year to a male sulcata, her pen mate. She laid one clutch of eggs, which I believe weren't incubated. Her diet Romaine, squash,apples, banana, and parrot biscuits. The guy wasn't a breeder. When I first saw her I thought she might have been wild caught, but she was raised from a hatchling. I'm going to have to say that she most probably lived her life outside, at least mostly.

ALDABRAMAN said:
She does look good and big.

She's a big girl. She's almost 11" wide.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you have a male for her?

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
yagyujubei said:
The only time she's been bred was last year to a male sulcata, her pen mate. She laid one clutch of eggs, which I believe weren't incubated.

It will be interesting to see what she produces. All the leopard/sulcata mixes I know of were from a female sulcata and a male leopard.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
kbaker said:
yagyujubei said:
The only time she's been bred was last year to a male sulcata, her pen mate. She laid one clutch of eggs, which I believe weren't incubated.

It will be interesting to see what she produces. All the leopard/sulcata mixes I know of were from a female sulcata and a male leopard.
[/quote
Usually the sulcata males are way too big for a leopard female, but she's got some size, and I understand that the sulcata was young and about her size. Eventhough I wouldn't have bred her outside of her species, if I get eggs, I will incubate them. As far as the breeding goes, instead of leopcatas, I suppose they'd be sulpards. Could be very different from the others we've seen. Look at Ligers and Tigons - completely different. We shall see.

I don't want to be know as a hybridizer, however if the damage is done, a clutch of eggs could buy me a proper mate for her.

B K

5 Year Member
Nice leopard.I didn’t realize but you are like 20min from me I live east of you off 224

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
B K said:
Nice leopard.I didn’t realize but you are like 20min from me I live east of you off 224
Small world, I'm a couple of miles north of 224.

B K

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
B K said:
Small world, I'm a couple of miles north of 224.

Im in Greenwich

Status
Not open for further replies.