New leopard tortoise

nikkiad

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384892007.167609.jpg
Hi,
This is Sherman my newly acquired leopard tortoise. When I purchased him I was told "he loves his lettuce and cucumber" but when we researched leopard food before buying him it all stated not to feed him this. I feed him chicory, kale, parsley, dandelion leaves and watercress but want more variety for him. Any suggestions as not everything on the lists is available in the UK?
Thanks
Nikki

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing, heat and humidity. Then also check out thetortoisetable.org.uk for many edible items. The lettuce and cucumber is not a good think. Romaine once in a while is okay. Cucumber once in a great while is okay too, it helps to hydrate as it's mostly water, but they should not be their only diet at all

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO fromAZ
Spring mix , mustard greens , turnp greens,cilantro , and Swiss chard
Hope that helps

nikkiad

5 Year Member
Thanks... We have his vivarium all set up so happy with heat and humidity. I am having trouble locating some of the foods on the list unfortunately.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Sherman is beautiful. Love the pattern on his shell! Do you have a community garden nearby? Or wait, I think they are called allotments in England. That would be a great place to source some goodies for your leopard baby. Most gardeners would be happy to share, or you can buy from them so they can plant more things.

Check out this thread, below, about a South African artist and her pet leopard tortoise, and regarding lettuce. A varied diet is the key. So lettuce is not bad as long as it is not every day all day for days on end. That is bad.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-83001.html

And do remember, hot(warm) and humid = healthy and happy! : )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nikki, and welcome to the Forum!

I think some of your compatriots there in the UK feed a packaged salad mix called Rocket. Any dark, leafy greens that you can find in the store will do just fine. Also, try to find some weeds and edible leaves from outside to add to the grocery store greens.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nuh1000 said:
Omg he is soo beautiful, How much did you get him for?

Hi Nuh1000:

Some people are uncomfortable specifying prices that they pay for their animals.

Won't you take a few moments and start your own thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?