New leopard tortoise mummy! recommendations please!

Cpm1992

Hi tortoise lovers!
I'm a new mummy (had him about 2 weeks) Of a beautiful leopard tortoise called Herbit! He's about 6-8 weeks old.
He eats lots but im not sure if its too much! Ill fill a pringle lid with different leaves every day and he eats all of it! He doesn't drink an awful lot but i think i need a lower tub for the water as he struggles to get into this one.
Is it ok what im feeding him? Red chard, spinach, cress, water cress, cucumber(only every now and again as i read its bad to give too much), lambs lettuce, wild rocket, dandelion leaves?
Do i need to get any of that vitamin powder to sprinkle on his food?

Thanks!! :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Many of us use the terra cotta saucers that you can find at most big box stores that have a garden center. They are shallow, easy to get in and out of, offer the same way in and out on all sides and they help trim their beaks and nails. Roll overs are less common and when they do occur, the dish is shallow enough that the tort can keep its head above water until it is rescued. I would cut out the spinach as well. Mine get a little bit in their spring mix but there is some mineral in it that can create issues if they eat too much. Try endive and kale.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Lots of variety is key-key-key. I use the herb scissors that chefs like, they have 3 or 5 blades. Makes chopping and blending a variety of things easier and smaller so they cannot pick things out. Also, to cover more nutritional bases, get some Mazuri and/or Repashy to supplement. Please read the closed chamber threads (do a search, above right) and remember that hot and humid = healthy and happy. Some of us feel it is vital. Welcome! This is the best place ever for learning and dialoguing so that all little tortoises have a better chance to live long and thrive! : )

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Tom is a valued member here who has created care sheets for sulcatas and Leos. I recommend you check out the threads below my name. Also, you can go to the main page and find important threads to read that contain Tom's information. You want to raise your baby the best way possible; so, reading how to feed and care for Leos is a must:)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO. From AZ I also like to cut up finely some grass in my leopard torts food.
Great choice of torts and good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Cpm1992

Wow didnt expect such a response, thank you for such a lovely welcome!
Yes I've researched a lot but just different information everywhere and I want to give my little guy all the beat stuff.
Where can you actually get all these funny plants you've mentioned?
All I've been able to do so far ia get mixed leaf bags from super markets and pick dandelion leaves!
Ill take a look at those links thanks :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Cpm1992,, here is a fun link I think you will like! Just be sure when getting plants to be sure there are no fertilizers or pesticides, so get them from places you trust, like a farmer's market or a health food store, or an organic grower. Or grow them yourself, with seeds or cuttings, which is the most economical way. : )

http://www.pinterest.com/pietersmith/leopard-tortoise-edible-plants/