New Little Addition!

Melissa9987

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi everyone! I adopted a 3-4 year old Russian a few months ago, but she didn't make it (think she had a LRI). After countless research, I adopted a new little baby yesterday! I'm still not sure what I did wrong with my first one, but I don't want anything to go wrong this time! He's only about as big as a 1/2 dollar.

He is in a 20 long tank with a screen cover for now with coir and a little plastic hide with moss in it on the cool side. I just keep the moss moist. He has a half log on the side with the heat lamp which is where he's been hanging out. He has a reptisun 5.0 UBV light. He has a little saucer of water in the middle of the tank. Gave him a warm a bath for a couple minutes this morning. His eyes are a little swollen and he rubs his eyes. He ate some greens when he got home yesterday and I plan on grinding up some zoomed grassland tortoise food and mixing it in with his greens tonight.

Still trying to get the heat and humidity perfect, but I am aiming for a 90 degree basking spot and a 50-60% humidity. I want to get a flat rock to put under the heat lamp, heard this will make it warmer for him to bask.

Thanks for any advice!!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm not sure but I believe that light your using is coiled. If it is read about how some think that it could cause blindness. May be why her eyes are swollen and she's rubbing her eyes.

— Gus

Melissa9987

Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not sure but I believe that light your using is coiled. If it is read about how some think that it could cause blindness. May be why her eyes are swollen and she's rubbing her eyes.

— Gus

I attached a pic of the light. It's the kind in a long tube. Is this okay? Also, she was already rubbing her eyes on the way home, but I don't know what of the light the breeder was using. I'm just worried it's not the start of an RI.
Thanks for your help! :)

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 12

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Please don't allow the damo moss to get cold. This would cause a resp infection.
When wet there should be warmth.
Glad you have a new one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Melissa and welcome to the forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Melissa welcome to the TFO from AZ . Let's see can we see a pict of your new tort and its enclosure . Is the coir wet or dry ? And the screen cover helps block the UV Rays . But a pict would help a lot . Good luck .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Melissa9987

Pittsburgh, PA
Hello Melissa welcome to the TFO from AZ . Let's see can we see a pict of your new tort and its enclosure . Is the coir wet or dry ? And the screen cover helps block the UV Rays . But a pict would help a lot . Good luck .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

I spray the coir a couple times a day, but it dries out fast! I keep the moss damp too, but he hasn't been interested in it. I'll get a pic this afternoon! :)