New Member - Kelly in Tampa, FL

krkintpa

Hi there from sunny Tampa! My name is Kelly and I have always wanted a Sulcata tortoise. I am starting to do very detailed research and diagram an enclosure. I have a pretty decent sized yard, which is fenced in, and we live right on a pond. I also have 2 kids and 2 Great Danes, who are indeed true gentle giants. I'm looking forward to learning a lot in here to prepare for my baby! My main concern is that I've heard Sulcata's are diggers, I definitely don't want that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. They can be diggers, but what I have read on here, if they have lots of room and can't see over or thru a fence, they won't try to escape. Just be sure though, as gentle of giants your dogs may be, a tortoise is a chew toy to them. We've heard it many times. "My dog wouldn't hurt anything". Then it happens, they don't listen and their tort gets chewed. Also be sure to purchase from a breeder that starts their babies out the humid way, better for the tort, better for you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcone. Are you thinking hatchling, one a bit older or more an adult? Is the pond within the fenced in area?