New member looking for a special tortoise ♥️

Ella’s Gigi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Black Forest, Colorado
I’m looking for any advice or information on which tortoise to get. I’m interested in Egyptians, Western Hermann’s, Golden Greek and Russian.

I prefer a guy who will stay small and has some personality. I live in Colorado Springs so I will be doing an indoor and outdoor home for the little guy. I plan on only having one tortoise so if some are better without friends that would be helpful to know also.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

Living in Colorado, it might be good to get a species that hibernates. Russian comes to mind.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Of the ones you listed, I find the russians to be the most outgoing and personable. Plus they are adaptable and can handle a wide range of climates.

Only buy a CAPTIVE BRED russian. You will have a much better experience this way. I'm not opposed to taking limited numbers from the wild, as long as we aren't harming the wild population, but a captive bred one will make a much better pet for several reasons.

Here is some care info to get you started:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well I think we all started out wanting only one tort . Now 18 years later I have 18 Leopards , 9 Russians, 5 Greeks , 3 Herman’s, 3 marginals, 3 AZ Desert torts , 3 Egyptian, 2 pancakes , 5 box turtles ! They are like Lays chips you cannt be happy with just one ! They are so cute ! Good luck with your selection![emoji217]

Bee62

Germany
Well I think we all started out wanting only one tort . Now 18 years later I have 18 Leopards , 9 Russians, 5 Greeks , 3 Herman’s, 3 marginals, 3 AZ Desert torts , 3 Egyptian, 2 pancakes , 5 box turtles ! They are like Lays chips you cannt be happy with just one ! They are so cute ! Good luck with your selection![emoji217]
Total agree with you ! :)

Bee62

Germany
With enough space Hermann tortoises and Egyptians tortoises can be kept in groups of females with one male.

Ella’s Gigi

5 Year Member
Black Forest, Colorado
That’s what I’m worried about! They are all sooooooo adorable but I’m good with one for now. I’ve found a Russian and an Egyptian available but the more I read about the Western Hermann, the more intrigued Iam with them. I want CB and am now wanting advice on a reputable breeder or website to purchase from.

As always, any advice is appreciated.