New Member Looking for First Tortoise!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
How do you all think a redfoot would handle PA conditions? I've read that as they get older they can handle some pretty cold temps.
I'm not sure, I think they come from South America. In Pennsylvania, you are basically going to have to provide warmth for your tortoises in the winter and a little bit in the spring and fall this can be done by having an indoor enclosure or a heated outdoor area, such as a heated night box or a shed. No matter what type of tortoise you get those are your options. I'm not totally familiar with Pennsylvania's climate but it sounds like you would probably get three full months of outdoor time, with a month or two here and there on either end of that. And there were obese six months of either indoor or heat needed. Smaller tortoises are easier to have indoors. If you are getting a hatchling then they will basically be indoors for the good part of a couple years anyway. You have to think of a backup in case the power goes out, especially with a baby. I am not being a wet blanket and I am just being realistic. Any tortoise can be kept anywhere if you have the money and know how to provide the correct environment. Think of where the tortoise came from naturally, that may help also. You can also look into box turtles, I think there are some that are native to Pennsylvania. I have a box turtle that I chose not to hibernate so she was inside all winter. For species that do hibernate, and if you choose to do it, you can hibernate them indoors as well. Do not do it the first year you have the animal and make sure you do lots of research here first.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Native box turtles are protected, but non native ones would do fine in the PA climate, too. I would not suggest keeping them indoors all year, though, especially since the climate suits them so well. They love summer rain.

Do you foresee an outdoor habitat in the future or is it always going to be a problem? You might consider an aquatic turtle that will stay in an indoor "pond" or tank.

csking97

Pennsylvania
Native box turtles are protected, but non native ones would do fine in the PA climate, too. I would not suggest keeping them indoors all year, though, especially since the climate suits them so well. They love summer rain.

Do you foresee an outdoor habitat in the future or is it always going to be a problem? You might consider an aquatic turtle that will stay in an indoor "pond" or tank.
An outdoor habitat is definately possible. I just have to decide on a tortoise/turtle species first.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would prob. go with russian, or box tuurtle. Red foots get a little bit bigger than I think you want, andd you would prob. have to provide heat through most of the year. It can be done of cpurse, just requires some planning for it.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Pa is very humid as it rains allot which is why box turtles do well here but it is also 4 seasons so the fall and spring is cool and humid. I would worry less about a box turtle being outside year round but a tortoise would need to have a large dry heated shelter outside for when it rains for days or brought inside. Each year is different we can have a drought or rain so much it is flooding, cold harsh winter or a mild winter. You would need to be prepared for the worst which I think would be a large indoor and outdoor enclosure for whatever tortoise you choose.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
How do you all think a redfoot would handle PA conditions? I've read that as they get older they can handle some pretty cold temps.

I wouldn't have a Redfoot in that climate. They thrive in warm and humid.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I agree, if I actually chose my tortoise I would not have gotten a Red Foot (although I do love her)
I would have gone for a Russian.

csking97

Pennsylvania
Finally got him/her. Thanks for all your help everyone!!!!!

Attachments

• 1912434_835245009882867_8217882348886852902_n.jpg
    1912434_835245009882867_8217882348886852902_n.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 8

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Delightful.
Lovely little tort.
I also particularly like the look of all the bottles of wine in the background.