New Member Looking for First Tortoise!

csking97

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi!
My name is Colin and I live in Pennsylvania. I have been looking into getting a tortoise for some time now and I was hoping you all could help me find the best tort for me. A small to medium sized tort would be good and and outdoor enclosure would be hard for me to do but suggestions would be great!
Thanks all!

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forums! before you get a tortoise make plans for the future because this animal will most likely out live you! i would suggest a russian tort the are small but like all tortoise species they require a large amount of room. read this russian tort care sheet to see if you can meet all the care requirements for this species. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

csking97

Pennsylvania
Thanks, this species seems like a good option so far. Still open to any other suggestions!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Welcome! Have you considered a box turtle? They are native to Pa . Easterns are illegal but all others are ok to own.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yes they can, I have both and i don't think you can go wrong with either as a pet.

csking97

Pennsylvania
Between the Greek, hermanns and Russian what do you all think would do the best in PA's climate?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome to the forum, I love my little greek, but you may be better off with the Russian, if they're slightly more cold resistant.
My girl really hates the cold, as do I and she loves to be outside a lot, winters here are short, but yours quite long, I understand.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Colin, and welcome to the Forum!

Whatever species you decide upon, get the biggest enclosure you possibly can find room for. You can buy two very large plastic bins, cut out opposing ends and put them together. You can buy a horse water trough. Please, whatever you decide, don't keep a full grown (no matter how small) tortoise in a little 20 gallon viv or tote. It's just cruel to contain a non-domesticated animal in something too small.

csking97

Pennsylvania
Hi Colin, and welcome to the Forum!

Whatever species you decide upon, get the biggest enclosure you possibly can find room for. You can buy two very large plastic bins, cut out opposing ends and put them together. You can buy a horse water trough. Please, whatever you decide, don't keep a full grown (no matter how small) tortoise in a little 20 gallon viv or tote. It's just cruel to contain a non-domesticated animal in something too small.
Thanks for the ideas! I wouldn't dream of Keeping a tort in such a small area.

csking97

Pennsylvania
How do you all think a redfoot would handle PA conditions? I've read that as they get older they can handle some pretty cold temps.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
They won't be able to handle anything below 60 for very long, and that's for an adult..definitely not something to do with babies. I'm in MA and I need to keep my Red Foot indoors for half the year.

Russians can hibernate for that time.