New Member...Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama boy

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

We are new to tortoiseville. In fact we are so new, we do not have a tortoise yet. We are looking to getting a red footed tortoise for Christmas. I have done a lot of study and research but I know that there is no way to gather from reading, what some have experienced.

Questions...
Where should I buy from?
What in closer should I look at getting?
What bedding is best?

I think I know these answers (from reading) but I would like to hear from some pros!!

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We have some folks here on the forum who breed and sell redfoot tortoises. Look through this section:

http://tortoiseforum.org/forum-4.html

There is some very good information for you to find there.

And if, after reading this, you have questions, we're more than happy to answer specific questions.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Welcome to the forum bama boy.
If you plan on getting a rf, I would recommend using cypress mulch and Sphagnum moss. They retain moisture well. Redfoots require high humidity and those two will help out with that. The moss can be placed inside a hide for burrowing. I used to have random mounds of moss scattered around the floor just in case he wanted to chill somehere else...
Another substrate you can use is organic top soil.(no vermiculite).
Check out the redfoot threads and you will learn a lot.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! What a wonderful Christmas gift that you will be able to enjoy for years to come!

With it being winter time you will have troubles (in most areas) getting one shipped in due to the cold. If you do decide on one out of your driving area, be sure temps all along the route it will have to travel will be warm enough. Heat packs help, but are not fool proof.

I would check in my local area for a breeder, a rescue, Craig's list/Freecycle (or whatever your area has), local tortoise/reptile clubs, and pet stores. Sorry I didn't look to see your location before responding, so I can't do any specifics.

Are you thinking a youngster or what age/size? Any thoughts on where you will keep him? Inside and outside and what size enclosure? Answers to those questions will vary a bit what suggestion I would offer.

Bama boy

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Welcome! What a wonderful Christmas gift that you will be able to enjoy for years to come!

With it being winter time you will have troubles (in most areas) getting one shipped in due to the cold. If you do decide on one out of your driving area, be sure temps all along the route it will have to travel will be warm enough. Heat packs help, but are not fool proof.

I would check in my local area for a breeder, a rescue, Craig's list/Freecycle (or whatever your area has), local tortoise/reptile clubs, and pet stores. Sorry I didn't look to see your location before responding, so I can't do any specifics.

Are you thinking a youngster or what age/size? Any thoughts on where you will keep him? Inside and outside and what size enclosure? Answers to those questions will vary a bit what suggestion I would offer.

I am not finding any breeders in my area. I did find 2 on craig's list but feel a little unsure buying from an individual.

I am wanting a youngster. I will be keeping it inside. I am unsure about the size of the enclosure.

I have been reading a lot. However, because I have never had one before, what I am reading can sound a little overwhelming and "Greek". I am a professional musician. I could read/do/hear something about music that to an untrained ear could sound weird. That is how I am feeling about researching this pet.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
If you are anywhere near Chicago, there is a RF baby on there for 80.00$

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
He's from Alabama :)

You can go to this reptile show on the 19th :) http://www.dixiereptileshow.com/
That way you can see what your buying and it's close by (so not a long drive home :))

Danny

Hi...If you do go to this show, give us details of the show. I went there about 6 or 7 years ago. Haven't gone since cause it's about 5 hours away & have nobody to travel with me anymore.
Will you eventually be able to put your Redfoot in an outside enclosure? They do so much better outside.
Good luck with your search
Patsy

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
concerning enclosure size the general rule of is 1 SQ foot for every SQ inch of tortiose, depending in the age of the tortoise you may have to build an extra large enclosure or get new ones as the tortoise gets bigger.
Oh and welcome.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Sorry to nitpick here, but are you sure that it's one SQUARE inch of tortoise = one square foot of enclosure? Or is it one inch of SCL = one square foot of enclosure?:p

Taco measures 6" SCL x about 5" wide, so that would mean 30 square feet of space in her pen, and she only has 12 sq. ft.:(

I hope I haven't just "removed all doubt"!;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
1 square inch of tort equals one square foot for enclosure that is the advice I had gotten a long time ago from an expierenced tortoise keeper from the CTTC of course that is the min you can always go bigger, and outside is uually not the same. I believe in giving the best care for my guys so it is a rule I have always followed, now is it a law? no of course not but it is a general rule accepted among tort keepers and everyone has their own view points. I am pretty sure my rep is secure for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.