New Member Questions and Introduction

Aurora Nebula

Location (City and/or State)
Norfolk, VA
Hi Everyone!!
First let me start off by saying this forum has been very informative and helpful!! Thank You so much for all the great information! Ive been reading these pages since before I got my Red Foot Tank Girl. I researched for a few months before i got my lil girl and this site has been my go to. I bought my lil lady from a pet store on July 25th for my sons 11th birthday, he wanted a red foot so I made him write an essay about proper care and why he wanted one etc before taking on this lifelong commitment. And man was that essay a lil game changer. Ill try and post a picture of it and all other pictures later this week.
I dont even know where to begin. So let's see...Im having some trouble right now with keeping the humidity up in her glass enclosure (I know, i know...ill be making one as soon as spring comes) since it's winter and the house is very dry. Ive been spraying down her coconut fiber (eco earth) substrate constantly to try and keep the humidity levels correct but theyve been falling to about 30% sometimes in the 20s and im very concerned about this. How do I keep the levels up in the winter???? She has all the proper lights and i even put a heating pad under the tank where her main hide spot is to keep her toasty warm. She gets all the proper food and care. She however doesnt go in her water dish to drink she waits for her nightly soak to drink. She isnt very active which i know is normal but when she comes out for her soak I bring her out to "play" and she walks all over the living room with me sitting on the floor supervising of course. Ive heard many conflicting threads and info on Red Foots liking a buddy, should i get another for a friend or not??

I guess that is it for now. Thank You in advance! I look forward to hearing back from you all and utilizing this forum!

AnimalLady

Hello and welcome! I love Redfoots! One of my favorite species :)

I'm personally useless when it comes to lighting~ however, I think it would be great if you could post a picture of your setup so that the others can get a visual on whatcha got going on.

Regarding the buddy for your red~ most people here will tell you that tortoises in general do not like company and prefer to be alone. however, reds are a bit different. I personally plan on getting a second red, with the thought in mind that I *MIGHT* have to make a separate enclosure in case things go sour. If you cannot have 2 separate homes (if needed) I wouldnt bother..the home also needs to be very large.

Do you have any pix of your red? I'd love to see! :) :) :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Good idea to have your son do research - shows he was serious. . I personally find that the most up to date info on best care practices is here on the TF.

We may not always agree but explanations are given for differing points of view. And if it's not given you can ask and get clarification

I always suggest starting with one or 3. Reason is that pairs can be problematic - even for Redfoots in a smallish enclosure and they won't be lonely like we would. I believe they like being king of the roost. With 3 or more , they seem more resigned to sharing. Sounds odd I know but it works. But of course , you need much more room.

Humidity
You will not overcome the humidity problem without a lid. If you cut a plexiglass top for your aquarium , cut out holes for the light / Uv , it will keep it in. Plus it will not take so much to heat it. Get a good heat controller for the heat and it will turn the CHE off when it reaches temperature.

Good fortune to you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I second what Mike said about a cover. I've struggled with your same problem and until I covered the habitat, I just couldn't get it right.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Tort and enclosure look great. are the plants real or fake? if they are fake, just make sure your new buddy does not nibble....

I would stick with the one tort for now, let your family get used to the care and maintenance involved. Then, down the line, if you build a new enclosure for this tort, you will have an extra one to start a new habitat! maybe even different species........

As for the humidity, how are you measuring it? I only ask because some of the small, cheap gauges are not very accurate.... but otherwise, like Mike and Yvonne said, covering may be your best option.

Best of luck and keep us posted!