New member, white legs on red foot tortoise, need help

Aya

Location (City and/or State)
Paraguay
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and need your help. I have 7 newly hatched red foots (all thanks to the great incubation advice that I found here on the forum, thanks) and one of them has a rare color. He hatched with white legs, a red head and a pale color in the carapace. Also a second tortoise was born with something that looked like an umbilical cord attached to his yolk sac, this tortoise was also born with a joined middle scute. Is this something I should worry about? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a pretty little tortoise. Judging from the first picture, I'm going to GUESS that its some sort of caustic burning from the amniotic fluid. I'll bet as he grows it will change and his natural color will shine through.

As to the plastron, it's just the connection between the yolk and the egg. It will wither and fall off eventually.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Cute tortoise

Aya

Paraguay
What a pretty little tortoise. Judging from the first picture, I'm going to GUESS that its some sort of caustic burning from the amniotic fluid. I'll bet as he grows it will change and his natural color will shine through.

As to the plastron, it's just the connection between the yolk and the egg. It will wither and fall off eventually.
Thank you so much, they’re my first clutch to hatch successfully and it‘s such a relief to hear that they will be fine.