Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Hello Cathie, thanks for the compliments on the enclosure. Jeff has given me some good advice on things that could be a problem for Max. So I already have possible changes to make, but that’s ok I enjoy building, changing or whatever is needed that will make sure Max is safe.
Gerry
Max is a cute little box turtle. I've only had 1 and don't really know much about them. Her name was Daisy May. She was a rescue and a very sweet animal. I eventually found her a good home I could feel good about. People think that since you have a tortoise you will know how to care for one but that's not really true. It takes a person that has had them to give you good advice. I can give some advice but you'll get the best advice from people here that have done them regularly. I'm glad you found TFO. They helped me. They'll help you.?

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
Enclosure with changes and safety being number one.
Also information on Max’s soaking pool.
I use an aquarium heater in my Max’s soaking pool. It keeps the water temperature within 1 degree of my setting. I made the pool out of concrete and sealed it with marine epoxy. It is 10 x 10 with a sloping bottom to 4 inches. Max is only 4 months old, so for now the heater sets under a false bottom with the water level 3/4 inch in the false bottom. I also have part of the pool covered so he can hide under it. He loves it.

Attachments

• 7EC5B445-18D6-49A6-842F-6E7EB65848BF.jpeg
    7EC5B445-18D6-49A6-842F-6E7EB65848BF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • D398F202-4BE4-446E-9A72-9699D23163B7.jpeg
    D398F202-4BE4-446E-9A72-9699D23163B7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 27D16A9D-0B0A-4721-B28C-CD6D3E962BAC.jpeg
    27D16A9D-0B0A-4721-B28C-CD6D3E962BAC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice! Lots of different surfaces to mix it up and keep it new. I would like to have seen Max in the pictures.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Enclosure with changes and safety being number one.
Also information on Max’s soaking pool.
I use an aquarium heater in my Max’s soaking pool. It keeps the water temperature within 1 degree of my setting. I made the pool out of concrete and sealed it with marine epoxy. It is 10 x 10 with a sloping bottom to 4 inches. Max is only 4 months old, so for now the heater sets under a false bottom with the water level 3/4 inch in the false bottom. I also have part of the pool covered so he can hide under it. He loves it.
Oh I think I saw him but when I zoomed it it's not clear.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
OK, now that you've posted over in the cool section, are you an engineer by trade?

Come on guys, someone had to ask, his turtles home is nicer than MY home!....LOL....just teasing brother......
I don’t have the paper on the wall. I’m just old and have had a lot of great mentors that I soaked up everything I could from them, and over the years I’ve refined their advice with numerous projects of all kinds. Designing and building with wood, steel, welding and machining parts.
I take your question as the ultimate complement.
Thanks Gerry

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
This morning Max had gotten in his new soaking pool. I didn’t get to see him go in, but I was real excited to find he had gotten in it on his own, so soon. 😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 6