Butcher

Location (City and/or State)
Willow Grove, Pa.
Hi folks. My name is Bill. My wife and I live in Willow Grove Pa. When I met my wife 23 years ago she had a female Eastern box turtle"Shelly". A few months after moving into our current home Shelly escaped into the back yard. In the years after I would find her grazing in the back yard. My wife and I decided to let her live wild. I started finding an occasional male box turtle in the back yard so I figured Shelly was fine and living a good turtle life. It has been a couple years since I have seen Shelly. This spring I purchased a Redfoot baby from My Turtle Store. The little girl arrived safe and appears to be healthy. She is eating well and is finding a favorite spot to hide, inside a half log full of moist moss. I also ordered a tort for myself. A "well established" baby Leopard tortoise. I should be receiving that item in the next few days. "Happy birthday" me!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. I hope you don't let these tortoises to "live wild" or to live together.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Bill, and welcome!

I've got a couple things to share just in case you don't already know:

Species should not be mixed. They might make each other sick or even dead.

Besides that, pairs don't work. Three or more is ok, but with only two there's a dominant and a subordinate,, and it's stressful in a captive environment.

Lastly, if male box turtles can get into your backyard then your little female can definitely get out!

Reactions: Ink

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! Just a heads up, I’d remove the moss asap! It can cause lethal impactions.

Perhaps you’ll find this thread below useful to double check your equipment and materials🙂

And you might find this one helpful to go over too😊