Status
Not open for further replies.

pencilsss

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!

I have just joined this forum.

I have a pet tortoise called Pencils who is two, he's a Herman tort and adorable!
I am a little worried about him as he seems to have lost quite a few claws! :(
I need some advice, pretty please.

He mainly eats the komodo tortoise diet fruit and flower flavoured pellet things which are added to water to make soft. In the past he has tried carrot and strawberries and he LOVES dandelion leaves!
My boyfriend at the time bought him for me (best gift ever!) the man he bought him from would feed the tortoises he owned dandelion leaves everyday but when I went to the pet store they said that it was not a good idea to do this as dandelion leaves are seen as a treat. Oopsie daisy.

Anyway any advice on how to sort his claws out? And weeds that I could feed him?
I'm a student and he lives with me in my student house so I really cannot afford to take him to the vets at the moment :(

Thank you!

Claire (pencils' mum) :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Claire!!

I don't know if this is Pencil's problem or not, but do you sprinkle a bit of calcium powder on the food occasionally?

Your tortoise would benefit from a bit more variety in his diet. The Komodo dragon food is good (is there a different flavor besides fruit?), but he should also be getting some greens. Any dark leafy greens that you could buy for your own salad would be good for the tortoise too.

pencilsss

5 Year Member
Yes I do occasionally dip the leaves in the calcium supplement. I am trying out some new leaves tonight! It's difficult to tell which leaves are okay to give him (or her) pencils is still to young to determine the sex.
I was wondering what else I could feed pencils, like things I would have in the fridge, can we feed him cucumber or is that a big no?
Maybe it would be best to know what to definitely not feed him?

Thank so much for your reply!

Claire and pencils

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hermann's tortoises prefer the broad-leaf weeds and plants to the grasses. They will eat grass, but prefer the broad-leaf. At the store you can buy endive, escarole, dandelion greens, turnip greens, mustard greens. If you have any packaged lettuces, try to find one that has a nice variety of different types of greens in it, not ice burg and romaine.

From outside, I'll pick mullberry leaves, grape leaves, clover, dichondra, fillaree, sow's thistle.

Here's a nice site for you to compare what grows in your area:

http://issuu.com/starsw/docs/edible...skin.issuu.com/v/color/layout.xml&backgroundC

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hello and welcome to our group. Sorry to hear that your tort's claws are gone. With a good diet and calcium the claws will grow back. Not to worry. Sibi

Attachments

• IMG_0028_09-02-2012.JPG
    IMG_0028_09-02-2012.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.