Introduction

Herphouse1381

Location (City and/or State)
Abilene, Texas
Hi. I have a 4 year old Red Legged Tortoise named Atoe, and two Redearred sliders named peppermint and Hart. Just yesterday we added a new little guy. He is a box turtle. A student found it in the street and a dog was trying to play with it. We have rescued it for now. It is obvious that he was a pet. He likes to be touched and talked to. It is also obvious that he was severely neglected. His claws were very long and twisted, making it hard for him to walk. His beak is slightly broken, making it difficult for him to eat. He is eating soft food now, and we hope he will recover. We had his claws trimmed and his prognosis is fair. I wish people would think about the responsibility involved with caring for these little creatures. He was obviously kept in an inappropriate habitat, but he found his way to us, and we will do everything to get him strong and healthy. My Granddaughter shares my love of these little darlings.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Normally we would encourage you to put the turtle back where you found it (we don't condone taking turtles out of the wild), however, I think you're doing the right thing by keeping it.

We're very glad to have you and your granddaughter here on the Forum with us. Box turtles are one of my favorites.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome looks like he has found a good home.

Herphouse1381

Abilene, Texas
Welcome to the Forum!

Normally we would encourage you to put the turtle back where you found it (we don't condone taking turtles out of the wild), however, I think you're doing the right thing by keeping it.

We're very glad to have you and your granddaughter here on the Forum with us. Box turtles are one of my favorites.

Herphouse1381

Abilene, Texas
Thanks. I never take anything from its natural home. But, in this case, this little girl needed help. She was in pretty bad shape. She is eating, and drinking. She is in a nice large habitat. And is moving better since I got her claws trimmed. My biggest concern with her now, is her she'll. It looks like the outer layer is coming off, leaving a cream colored, almost chalky looking substance. I've never had a box turtle, so any advice on her care would be greatly appreciated. I was told they don't adapt well to changes in their environment. Is this true, and should I keep her, since she seems to be doing better? She is a sweetheart, loves to be held and talked to.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It sounds like the shell is just repairing, probably nothing to worry about.
But photos would help people with more knowledge tell you what is happening.
look at the box turtle care sheet I posted for you and perhaps post on the box turtle section here to get advice from people who keep them.

Herphouse1381

Abilene, Texas
It sounds like the shell is just repairing, probably nothing to worry about.
But photos would help people with more knowledge tell you what is happening.
look at the box turtle care sheet I posted for you and perhaps post on the box turtle section here to get advice from people who keep them.
Thank you. I'm still learning to navigate the sight. Will post pictures when I learn more. This is a great sight.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
just click on my link and it will take you there.
Look under the species specific section, then the Turtles forums and click on American box turtles.
Sorry if you've worked this out already.
And yes, I'm sure this is the best site for this stuff on the net

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to theTFO from AZ. It's great to have another member that knows 1955 isn't a tire size .