snowflame

I live in Indiana too! And you will need a indoor enclosure during fall and winter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She will do fine on supervised walks on hardwood only.

I disagree. I believe tortoises need their own dedicated space or territory. There are too many things on the floor that could be harmful to a tortoise. And walking on slippery floors is not good for their legs.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

rsb6697

Now my son is upset that Alice isn't a girl. It shouldn't matter, should it? Alice is about 4 inches from tip of shell to tip (straight across) so will he grow another inch or two during his life?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, he will get slightly bigger, but not much. As long as you're not planning to breed them, let your son think Alice is a girl. No harm, no foul!

Also, Russian tortoises hibernate, so after this first winter of keeping him...er..uh..'her' up, you can allow her to hibernate and not have to worry about an indoor habitat. We always recommend that you keep a new-to-you tortoise awake the first winter so you can get to know her and make sure she's healthy and fat enough to hibernate.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

rsb6697

Tom, the beginner mistakes are great! At least we are doing a few things right and will only get better. I'm a dog person; I've always had a certain breed with me the past 25 years, and we worry about newbies to the breed as well. The difference is, you all have been more encouraging. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm a dog trainer. Can you tell me what breed?

And also on that note, NEVER let the dog(s) have access to the tortoise unsupervised. That ends in disaster all too often.

rsb6697

Oh don't worry, we make sure the dog isn't anywhere near Alice. I've had Great Danes since 1994. Started out with a dog from an ad. The dog we have now has parents who are US and Canadian champions. As you learn more, you appreciate them more.