Newbie from Washington state

moonfirefaery

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington WA
Hello from me and my juvie Russian, Natasha!
We got her for our 10 year old son, and he's helping and learning how to care for her.
We adopted her on December 9 2015 and are having a lot of fun with her.

20151212_094754-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your new tortoise looks almost full grown to me. Russian tortoises are great little animals. You're just going to enjoy the heck outta' her!

moonfirefaery

Arlington WA
Her breeder told us she's about 4, and will probably get bigger (based on his others).
She's about 4" across. I'd love if she stays this size!

moonfirefaery

Arlington WA
Here is her tub, it has a hardware cloth lid. It also has some aspen mixed with the substrate, and has been rearranged by the homeowner :)

20151209_193448_zpsf0q0km45.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20151209_193448_zpsf0q0km45.jpg

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
Welcome to the Forum ... I'm a newbie as well with a baby Russian & a baby Hermanns. They're both awesome little tykes and I know you're enjoying your Tort as well. Look forward to seeing more pics!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises usually like a waterer they can climb into and soak.

Paranub

This is going to sound harsh, but that is just far to small for her.
Tortoises love water, they drink, bathe, poop and wee in it daily.
she needs a deep substrate to bury, they love to bury to rest and sleep. Topsoil is a simple and effective solution, my baby (8 months) has at least 3-5 inches to bury into, and sometimes still reaches the bottom of the table.

I cant see a UVB light or a heat lamp, do you have both? make sure the uvb isnt a coil, but a strip.
i use http://arcadia-reptile.com/uv-flood-lamp/
both heat and uv lights are on a timer, switched on for 12 hours a day.

Also some things to climb on and over, places to hide and explore. They are exceptional climbers and love to hide and explore. Often switching items around the enclosure will make them go on little missions to find out whats changed.

CTaFHPg.jpg

as an example. my tort is smaller than the palm of my hand and i feel he will be out growing this soon.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Greetings from Oregon, I'm glad you joined, there are a ton of people here with a wealth of helpful information!

moonfirefaery

Arlington WA
This is going to sound harsh, but that is just far to small for her.
Tortoises love water, they drink, bathe, poop and wee in it daily.
she needs a deep substrate to bury, they love to bury to rest and sleep. Topsoil is a simple and effective solution, my baby (8 months) has at least 3-5 inches to bury into, and sometimes still reaches the bottom of the table.

I cant see a UVB light or a heat lamp, do you have both? make sure the uvb isnt a coil, but a strip.
i use http://arcadia-reptile.com/uv-flood-lamp/
both heat and uv lights are on a timer, switched on for 12 hours a day.

Also some things to climb on and over, places to hide and explore. They are exceptional climbers and love to hide and explore. Often switching items around the enclosure will make them go on little missions to find out whats changed.

CTaFHPg.jpg

as an example. my tort is smaller than the palm of my hand and i feel he will be out growing this soon.

I'm following instructions from the breeder. Her substrate is deeper in her hide, and she will be in a larger habitat eventually. We had just a couple days to get ready.
She will get regular soaks, and as I prefer her not use her drinking water as a toilet, she has the waterer.
There is a top, as well as lights, as instructed by the breeder, on timers.
I have yet to find two tortoise sites which give the same info so I'm going with what I was told. He's been breeding reptiles for 20+ years.

Paranub

I'm following instructions from the breeder. Her substrate is deeper in her hide, and she will be in a larger habitat eventually. We had just a couple days to get ready.
She will get regular soaks, and as I prefer her not use her drinking water as a toilet, she has the waterer.
I have yet to find two tortoise sites which give the same info so I'm going with what I was told. He's been breeding reptiles for 20+ years.

Just a few words of advice, as long as both you and the tort are happy!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum, I also have a Russian tortoise. I live in Walla Walla. Most people do use a terra-cotta plant saucer water dish at the tortoise can climb into. But I understand your concerns, I also just have a water bowl for my tortoise to drink out of but she can't get into it. It works for me. And it can work for you too. But you do have to make sure that you soak your tortoise at least two or three times a week. You can also spritz a little water on her greens.
This is the best forum out there for correct information on raising tortoises. You can pretty much ignore most pet stores. And unfortunately some breeders. All the conflicting information can get frustrating and confusing but hang in there. Check out the enclosures section and the Russian tortoise species section for a lot of great information and ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Russians love to dig, especially at night when they're ready to go to bed and make themselves comfortable. It will probably be enough to drive you insane, just a warning :) there will be a lot less scratching on the sides if you make the substrate deeper. I use coconut coir up to 8 inches deep in places. And especially deep in the hides. It's good that your enclosure has a top, it will help keep heat and humidity in. If you have a picture with the top and the lights people can give more specific suggestions. You will probably find that you will end up making a lot of changes to the enclosure, which is totally normal. Bigger is always better. They usually recommend an indoor of closure of 4 x 8'. If you can't quite pull that off make it as big as you can, or maybe make it a two-story enclosure with a ramp. There are lots of ways to make good enclosures that don't cost too much. Keep asking questions.

moonfirefaery

Arlington WA
Oh yes, she's a digger. She has her happy spot all situated.
She is happy and very content, doesn't shy away from us at all.
We're learning as we go, but have all intentions of keeping her happy and healthy.