New Momma! Advice Please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElizabethJane

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana
Hello, I just received my hatchling leopard tortoise 4 days ago! His name is "Snacks" (named by my 3 year old son) lol. I did a lot of research before ordering him, and got his home all set up and ready to go before he arrived. But after reading quite a few threads on this forum, I realize much of the info I read previously is a bit outdated, and am now feeling a little less confident. I've been feeding him collard greens, and spring mix, and will be getting various types of greens for him. Also have some mazuri and prickly pear cactus that I will be feeding about once a week. He is also getting daily soaks.

This is the setup I have for him:
(pics below)
Zoo Med Tortoise House (I realize I will need something much bigger as he grows.)
Lighting: 100 watt Mercury Vapor Bulb for day, and a Red Heat bulb for night (which I'm thinking I will have to change out for a CHE, I noticed he was up roaming around last night at about midnight, so I'm guessing the red light is bothering his sleep)
Substrate: Wet Sphagnum Moss on one side under the heat lamp / damp Coir/Sand mix throughout the middle / and Cypress mulch topped with Dry Sphagnum Moss on the other side (he has yet to venture to this side)
Temps: 95-100ish under the heat lamp / 75-80ish on the dry side / and 80-85ish everywhere else.
Humidity: Trying to keep the humidity up, but seems to dry up quickly, so I've been misting it a few times a day.

I'm I doing things correctly? Any suggestions or improvements? All responses, good or bad, greatly appreciated! I want to make sure my little guy is getting the best care possible!

Snacks_zps48bd7448.jpg
fc23e95d-5e39-42bc-9c6a-5fb78fe7c17b_zps7e55a238.jpg
4d3de664-b9fd-42ed-94e9-08af12c60579_zpsfba99077.jpg
20130227_105706_zpsfba3aa00.jpg
20130227_105736_zps2ea9ab80.jpg
20130227_105750_zps729b25cf.jpg
20130224_150133_zpsb234579f.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't tell by the pics but is the water dish top level with the substrate. Make sure he can get in and out easy. I would not use the sand. However, seeing you already are, make sure it's only about 20% sand to the other substrate. Then eliminate it when you change things up down the road. Also, the humidity needs to be 80% and temps not lower then 80 day and night. Check out Toms great threads below in my post. Even the sulcata ones pertain. He's very cute btw. Love the leopards.

ElizabethJane

5 Year Member
Montana
Awesome thanks! I will be sure to keep the humidity up :) It's funny, i feel the same as I did when my son was a newnorn! So much to learn, and I just want to make sure he is happy and healthy! lol

ElizabethJane

5 Year Member
Montana
wellington said:
I can't tell by the pics but is the water dish top level with the substrate. Make sure he can get in and out easy. I would not use the sand. However, seeing you already are, make sure it's only about 20% sand to the other substrate. Then eliminate it when you change things up down the road. Also, the humidity needs to be 80% and temps not lower then 80 day and night. Check out Toms great threads below in my post. Even the sulcata ones pertain. He's very cute btw. Love the leopards.

Yeah I have the water dish pushed down into the sand, I've watched him get in and out of it. I did about 50/50 coir/sand, so I will change it out and do less sand. Also will make sure to keep the temps up! :) Thanks!! :)

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
He's adorable congrats :) just a heads up i would remove the slide of the zoomed house because it gets to cold in that end if you don't. You don't want his temps going under 80 in any part of the enclosure as a hatchling. I was having trouble with humidity and I changed my substrate to Eco earth and cypress mulch and added a humidifying device such as a reptifogger and it stays over 70 now at all times. Goodluck with him he def seems like he has a great home and family.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Im not an expert on leopards but if you cover the majority of the top you can keep heat and humidity in. Your heat is going right up and out

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Snacks is a fine looking leopard :D

Yeah try to build an elevated top cover to make it a closed enclosure.
You need to trap it the humidity and warmth to avoid pyramiding.

ceg827

5 Year Member
I really Love your set up! I am looking at the same thing. I almost feel like I need a checklist to make sure I am getting all the right stuff. Can I ask where you live? We are in a colder climate, so I want to make sure I do everything 110% right! My son already named the tort "Spanish". It amazes me what he will name pets. Our fish is "Nemo" so original, right? Where did you purchase all of your supplies?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Your setup looks good but a top will help (as everyone said) and you may find that enclosure will be quickly outgrown.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
For a top you could have some plexiglass cut at Home Depot to the size you need. That way you can still look in without lifting it up all the time.

When mine was that age I also had it in a totally open top enclosure. My house is humid anyway and I managed to keep it above 50% during the day, higher at night with the light off, but I think it still should have been even higher. I soon made modifications, but the sooner the better.

Good luck!

ElizabethJane

5 Year Member
Montana
ceg827 said:
I really Love your set up! I am looking at the same thing. I almost feel like I need a checklist to make sure I am getting all the right stuff. Can I ask where you live? We are in a colder climate, so I want to make sure I do everything 110% right! My son already named the tort "Spanish". It amazes me what he will name pets. Our fish is "Nemo" so original, right? Where did you purchase all of your supplies?

I live in Montana, so It's pretty cold and dry here. I ordered almost everything from Wag.com, the tortoise house is only $85 with free shipping on their site. Alot cheaper than I could find anywhere else! Spanish is a good name! I like it :)

Zamric said:
Your setup looks good but a top will help (as everyone said) and you may find that enclosure will be quickly outgrown.

That's what I'm expecting, I know they get to be pretty big as adults. I was looking at a Tortoise Palace to begin with, but they are about the same size and 3x the cost as the one I got!! So since he will only be living there about a year or two at most (depending on how fast the little guy grows), I decided to go the cheaper route. :)

Tortus said:
For a top you could have some plexiglass cut at Home Depot to the size you need. That way you can still look in without lifting it up all the time.

When mine was that age I also had it in a totally open top enclosure. My house is humid anyway and I managed to keep it above 50% during the day, higher at night with the light off, but I think it still should have been even higher. I soon made modifications, but the sooner the better.

Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, I've actually been calling around today to see who has plexiglass! I'm thinking I might just get a sheet from Ace Hardware, along with a plexiglass cutter and do it myself :D

DesertGrandma said:
Cute little bugger!!

Thanks! I think so too ;)

caricca12 said:
Snacks is sooo cute!! Waaaayyy adorable!

Thanks! He's my lil sweetie!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but try getting a shoe box and cutting out a hole for snacks to fit through and make it his humid hide. you can just open the top and mist when needed. oh, and put the che over it and he'll probably sleep in it :)

ElizabethJane

5 Year Member
Montana
stinax182 said:
i don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but try getting a shoe box and cutting out a hole for snacks to fit through and make it his humid hide. you can just open the top and mist when needed. oh, and put the che over it and he'll probably sleep in it :)

Awesome! I will try that!

Status
Not open for further replies.