New outdoor enclosure on balcony

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
I just put together this outdoor enclosure on my balcony. It's still missing a water dish...I'll put that in tomorrow.

Substate is mix of topsoil and coco coir. Plant is fake (I'll get him a real one soon). I put an old hard carpet under the substate so that rain water can leak through it, which should help against flooding.

Attachments

• DSC_0371.JPG
    DSC_0371.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 199

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking good. A couple things concern me. One, the plastic or glass is going to heat the underneath way too hot for any tort. Two, the carpet, if it is regular yarn house carpet, it will mold before it drys and will cause illness, maybe death for your tort. Three, I don't see a hide. I would replace the plastic/glass with a piece of wood with a couple small holes to release the heat. Remove the carpet and drill a few holes in the bottom for rain to drain, or replace carpet with the plastic outdoor type carpet.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Along with the above advice - I think there needs to be more shade. Good luck!

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
wellington said:
Looking good. A couple things concern me. One, the plastic or glass is going to heat the underneath way too hot for any tort. Two, the carpet, if it is regular yarn house carpet, it will mold before it drys and will cause illness, maybe death for your tort. Three, I don't see a hide. I would replace the plastic/glass with a piece of wood with a couple small holes to release the heat. Remove the carpet and drill a few holes in the bottom for rain to drain, or replace carpet with the plastic outdoor type carpet.

Thanks for the great advice. Will do everything you recommended and post new pics tomorrow :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Agree with the above, let us know how it goes!

Depending on what area of the country you live in, the plexiglass may still come in handy. If it is cloudy, the plexiglass can make a nice warm up spot and allow your tortoise be outside when otherwise it would be too cool. So if you are around to monitor, you can add and subtract it depending on that day's weather. If your temps are warm enough for a hatchling sully, then you won't need it that day.

How about 2-3 plants in pots along one side to add some shade. Perhaps a smaller plant in a pot (carex, fescue, dwarf day lily, etc.) submerged right in the substrate?

Good luck!

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Here is how it looks now.

A thick plastic sheet is now under the substrate. The plexi glass has been replaced with wood. A hide and water dish have been added. I have an ibera greek. I do not worry it getting to hot. I live in Norway, which is as far north as Alaska (that is why I originally had the plexi glass for keeping in the heat).

If you look closely you can see my greek basking in the morning sun.

Thanks again for all the great advice. I love this forum :)

Attachments

• DSC_0382.JPG
    DSC_0382.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 92

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
Looks really good

0.3.0 sulcata tortoise
(Manavi, aspen, Bronx)
1.0.0 Russian tortoise
(Ivan)
1 Great Dane