New Outdoor Enclosure

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
Took advantage of the 3 day weekend and got a start on my outdoor enclosure - will be housing one 2 1/2 yo black mountain, and one 3 yo elongated. Measures 24 ft. long x 10-12 ft wide (varies along the back). Need to finish their box, putting up the fencing (to keep out racoons and a neighborhood fox), and will be putting in a small pond.

20170115_164442_resized.jpg 20170115_164519_resized.jpg 20170116_141751_resized.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your not housing them together though right? They, species should never be mixed and the black will get much bigger then the elongated.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
That's a nice looking space. Look forward to seeing it when it's all complete.

I am intrigued about the MEP-elongata pairing too. They have similar needs but I would have thought incompatible temperaments. I have no personal experience with the Burmese browns/blacks but do keep elongata and they are just so aggressive I am surprised you can house them with anything. I'd love to know what you've observed with yours so far (still a young one?).

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nice looking back garden, lush greens, and a great start on your enclosure. Makes me rather envious. All half frozen, brown and awaiting Spring and Summer.

Keep the updates coming.

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Orlando
I've spoken with several people, and then consensus has been that at this time, housing the 2 together in the available space would not be an issue, but in the near future they will need to be separated - I have a plot planned for my black mountain, and once I move him into his bigger area, I will be looking to pair him with a female, and do the same for my elongated. I will be watching them closely, and in the event there are any issues, I have a smaller area that I could move the elongated into on her own.

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Orlando
That's going to look good.
Don't leave any uneaten food laying around in there that a raccoon might like.
They'll be through that mesh in a minute!;)

It is coated galvanized wire, and all edges are being reinforced with the 1x2's on both sides along the edges (spoke with a person at the local feedstore, and this is what they recommended to keep the racoons out).

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Orlando
I got a bunch more done this weekend, will have some updated photo's to post tonight/tomorrow.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It is coated galvanized wire, and all edges are being reinforced with the 1x2's on both sides along the edges (spoke with a person at the local feedstore, and this is what they recommended to keep the racoons out).
It should as long as there is no tasty food laying around.
I reported that about 7 years ago, some raccoons had started nesting in my attic. I removed them. They came back and ripped very thick plywood and shingles off of my roof and got back in.
They are very clever and very capable.
They likely won't have too much interest in the tortoises themselves.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Boy, That does look nice.
If I had it all to do again. And I might! I'd go back and paint all of the wood while it was still new, because even the pressure treated stuff starts to look like crap after a few seasons in the elements.
Is it tall enough to walk around inside?

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Orlando
Boy, That does look nice.
If I had it all to do again. And I might! I'd go back and paint all of the wood while it was still new, because even the pressure treated stuff starts to look like crap after a few seasons in the elements.
Is it tall enough to walk around inside?

I actually treated the wood with clear Thompson's water seal to try to make it last a little longer before I need to start replacing boards. It is 6ft tall in most places, so yes, walking around isn't an issue (I'm just over 6ft, but should be able to move around no problem).

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Orlando
I like that your heated house has access from outside the pen. :cool:

Thanks, that was something I really wanted. That way when I have to lock them in at night, I can get to them easier to check on them. Plus less of an eye sore inside the pen.

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Orlando
I like that your heated house has access from outside the pen. :cool:

I took into consideration that if it was inside it would be 2 layers of protection against any potential pests, but felt the construction would be protective enough to have a portion outside.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Looks incredible....will you be adding in a substrate to the heatbox??