New owner first time looking to see how old my Russian tortoise is

Jsauer96

Location (City and/or State)
Lakeville
Just recently adopted a tort from pet smart. Witch I know is bad but going to get fish supplies every so often I'd see him in his tiny enclosure. Couldn't even ask to hold him due to covid. After almost 3 or 4 maybe even 5 or more months of seeing him there I decided to bring him home I have just about everything he needs. I'm just curious if anyone can tell me how old he is. I'm almost certain he's a male due to scale at the end of tale and colaca placement. Here's some pics any guess would be good

IMG_20200903_232529479.jpgIMG_20200903_232741982.jpgIMG_20200903_232529479.jpgIMG_20200903_232812719.jpg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Just recently adopted a tort from pet smart. Witch I know is bad but going to get fish supplies every so often I'd see him in his tiny enclosure. Couldn't even ask to hold him due to covid. After almost 3 or 4 maybe even 5 or more months of seeing him there I decided to bring him home I have just about everything he needs. I'm just curious if anyone can tell me how old he is. I'm almost certain he's a male due to scale at the end of tale and colaca placement. Here's some pics any guess would be good

It's hard to tell after a certain length. Stores like pet smart tend to keep their animals in the main shopping floor as well as the back so you never know how long an individual animal has been there for. At 5 inches they could be several years old. The tortoise may have already reached his or her maximum size.

Additional: An adult Russian tortoise requires an 8ft x 4ft enclosure. Here is an updated care sheet guide for you to read and follow if you aren't already doing so:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

Your new tortoise is probably about 10 years old.

(Incidentally, when you measure a tortoise you want the Straight Center Line (SCL), which is a straight line measurement, not the curve over the shell.)

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts

View attachment 305448View attachment 305449View attachment 305451View attachment 305452
Welcome to the forum! Did you get the tortoise from the pet store? That looks like a wild caught russian tortoise if i've ever seen one.. probably about 8-10 years old but it it had to tell by its size because they all grow at different rates.