new owner, hatchling baby sulcata outdoors or indoors? (year round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake Renshaw

5 Year Member
Hello fellow tortoise enthusiast! I will be buying two baby sulcata tortoises in the next week or so and am debating on putting them outside or keeping them inside (year round)? Any suggestions? BTW, I live in SoCal and you all know the temps here! Thanks :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well, I would like to ask :)D) why are you electing to house two sulcatas?
I ask this because a pair is a really hard thing to achieve with any harmony....

I would say in my opinion, you will in the beginning want to house indoors as their primary for a while and also at the same time be sure to take them to an outdoor secure pen/space to get natural sun and grazing practice....then with eventual plan of course for out door living...:D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Real sun is best.. you should have a secure place outside where they can spend several hours a week outside, untill they get bigger,, then outside 24/7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no way to maintain the proper temps outdoors 24/7 here in SoCal. The best strategy is to have a large indoor set up that will suit their needs 24/7, and then build an even bigger safe enclosure outside and put them out there when the weather permits. Because it is very dry where I live, I don't like to leave tiny hatchlings out side for more than an hour or two. By the time they are a year old, they are outside all day every day, weather permitting. I still bring them in at night to sleep, until they are at least 8-10". At that point they move outside permanently into a big outdoor enclosure with a suitable heated hide.

Ascott is right about the pair thing. Pairs are a bad idea. You are better off with just one. They don't need or want a friend. It won't be seen as a friend it will be seen as a competitor. If you must have more than one, it is better to have three or more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For added help in raising them healthy and smooth, check out the threads at the bottom of my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.