New owner need help!

Carnivoracity

I have an adult male boxie that was given to me along with a 40 gallon terrarium. When I received this turtle he wasn't being cared for much at all. No substrate and being fed a diet consisting of only dog food. Since then I've set up a Heat lamp for basking, a large dome UVB light considering I do not have a top for my tank, and 3 types of substrate. On the "cool" end I have his UVB light, 5 inches of Eco Earth topped and mixed at the top with a brick of condensed Sphagnum Moss and his swmming pool (Paint container thing with open entrance and rampy thing on the inside for easy exiting). On the "warm" side I have his basking lamp, a decent sized flat rock underneath the basking lamp, a blacklight for night heat (don't know if I need it any input would be appreciated) and for substrate I have a base of Eco Earth topped and mixed at the top with Forest Floor.

My Temp tank temp reads about 75 degrees F, and my Humidity gauge reads at about 35% even after misting the enclosure. I know the Humidity is supposed to be higher but I'm not understanding why it won't rise and stay there. The substrate I'm using is specifically supposed to retain moisture well and the Sphagnum Moss in theory should help a lot as well but for some reason it just won't go up. I don't know if me not having a top for my tank is causing this or not but I'm just in need of some experienced advice here because I am really trying to do the right thing and take good care of this awesome turtle. I live in Ohio and it's obviously winter right and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Also any tips on proper feeding procedure or where to feed would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for any replies.

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
He is really cute. i am no expert on humidty issues, etc.. But i am sure the experts will chime in when they get time.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
In order to hold the heat and humidity in you need to have a closed top. If there was a screen lid I would tell you to cover the screen top with heavy duty foil, just cutting out holes for the lights. Your humidity is going right out the top. Can you get a lid?

What part of ohio are you in?

Carnivoracity

In order to hold the heat and humidity in you need to have a closed top. If there was a screen lid I would tell you to cover the screen top with heavy duty foil, just cutting out holes for the lights. Your humidity is going right out the top. Can you get a lid?

I'm in Cleveland, I may be able to get a lid thanks for the info. What kind of lid would you recommend?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm in Cleveland, I may be able to get a lid thanks for the info. What kind of lid would you recommend?
You can order a screen top online. I'm not sure that any of the pet stores carry that size. I'm sure you could also make one but I'm not that handy. I'm in the Cleveland area also. Your turtle is adorable.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
LLLREPTILE usually has great prices.

Another option is to go to walmart, target, lowes, etc and get a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub for him. I've used those and tented a clear shower curtain over the top. I also have a stock tank I do that with.

Carnivoracity

Cutting holes through the foil? Or the screen?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok, here is another option which is what I did at one point. You can get a ten gallon screen top and lay it front to back on the tank where you want the heat lamp. Your heat lamp sits on that. Then I laid my uvb tube fixture front to back as well next to it. To cover the remaining top I got a piece of plexiglass big enough to sit across the rest of the top. Does that make sense? Or any thing else you have.....a piece of plywood, etc.