New owner to a Russian Tortoise.

patoise

Location (City and/or State)
Warrenton VA
Someone was giving her away and no one was stepping up, and to avoid an unpleasant situation for her, i raised my hand.

They bought her at a petstore 3 years ago. Based on photos, ive been told she is a Russian Tortoise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231117_195316_Messages~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117_195316_Messages~2.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20231117_201059_Messages~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117_201059_Messages~2.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it is a Russian. She needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. The home she is in now looks way too small from the little bit I can see. Most glass aquariums are to small unless it's a special order to properly size.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Someone was giving her away and no one was stepping up, and to avoid an unpleasant situation for her, i raised my hand.

They bought her at a petstore 3 years ago. Based on photos, ive been told she is a Russian Tortoise

They bought her at a petstore 3 years ago. Based on photos, ive been told she is a Russian Tortoise.
She looks sturdy. Have you measured her? (Front to back of shell.)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

That is wonderful of you to save this tortoise.

Here is the care info you will need. It starts with a bunch of helpful general knowledge that you won't find elsewhere, and there is a temperate species care sheet (Russians are a temperate species, as opposed to a tropical species...) near the bottom:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi and welcome. The tortoise looks healthy with new smooth shell growth (the light part). Please read the care sheet and ensure warm shallow water soaks are introduced as this really improved hydration, fresh leaves, fresh water replenished daily and correct heat and light. Initially it can be difficult to get the correct set up and routine but it will really pay off. At this time of year Russians are brumating but avoid this and keep it warm, cosy with heat light and water all winter. They are escape artists so be sure any enclosure or area you put it , is secure or it will go on walk about. They climb and are always on the look out for escape. Enjoy and ask questions as required.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome 🤗 I have a little Russian too. I don't think that they are so much trying to escape. They just won't let anything, anyone and stuff stand in their way come heck or high water 😉 I've seen my little guy climb a wall so he could keep walking. That's why they need so much space.

TheReaIMartian

New York

So glad you rescued them, and yup, definitely a Russian tortoise (testudo horsfieldii)! As others have mentioned, definitely check out the care guide Tom linked in this thread. The enclosure you currently have the tortoise in looks like it's way too small. Wishing you the best of luck!
-Leni