new owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesdouglas91

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. Today I am goin to pick up my first tortoise :). I'm buying the tortoise from a local owner. The owner thinks she's female but not sure. The tort is 6 years old. I'm new to the whole owning a tortoise thing. I've been trying to pick up as much information as I can so I can care for her properly. I went to visit her today and my main concern was the length of her claws. They are easily 1.5cm so I want to know if I should be clipping them or let her wear them down naturally on rocks etc? I'm just concerned in case she is in any pain. I have plenty more questions but I will take it one at a time. Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

jamesdouglas91

5 Year Member
New owner of a russian tort :)

Hello everybody. Im James and I'm from Scotland :). Today I pick up my very first tortoise!! I cant wait :). I'm buying the tort from the previous owner, he tells me that it's a female but he's not 100% sure. I'm done a fair bit of research so I can care for properly. But I joined this forum so I can get some more experienced opinions about my concerns for my new tort.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! I love you excitement, but what kind of tortoise are we talking? :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi James and welcome to the Forum!

I doubt the long nails are causing any pain. Can you post a picture?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Mr. Douglas. What species are we talking about? How has it been housed for the last 6 years?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hi and welcome James. We would like to see the tort picture and know the species.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
The concern with the long nails is nothing to be to worried about they will ware down with use on rough surfaces i.e. rocks or natural turain. My russian had long nails, but after getting out during the summer and walking about they got worn down. Also she loves to dig in her water dish ( the square one with the "ramp") and her nails got really short even the back ones; after that to. It is a really hard plastic but it seemed to do the trick. So as long as there is something for the tort to "file" them down with you should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.