New person here!

Astrochelys

Hello all!

My names Nick and I'm from the not so lovely state of Illinois! Haha.

Anyways, I'm a zoology major and I've always been interested in reptiles, inverts, etc. (basically anything that isn't domesticated haha) but haven't been really interested in turtles and tortoises until now. What got me interested was my research expedition in South America this past summer. I happened to run into some redfoot/yellowfoot (don't quite remember the coloration, but I know it was either of te two) and they just fascinate me to no end. Anyways, I dont plan on owning any yet until I get an apartment/condo/house of my own. I was thinking about keeping a small leopard or redfoot in a small waterland land tub (while in an apartment at college and when I move out take it with me) however I don't think the landlords would like that, and it might be a pain to move aha.

Back on topic again, I ask that everyone please bear with me and my uneducated questions! Haha

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Hello all!

My names Nick and I'm from the not so lovely state of Illinois! Haha.

Anyways, I'm a zoology major and I've always been interested in reptiles, inverts, etc. (basically anything that isn't domesticated haha) but haven't been really interested in turtles and tortoises until now. What got me interested was my research expedition in South America this past summer. I happened to run into some redfoot/yellowfoot (don't quite remember the coloration, but I know it was either of te two) and they just fascinate me to no end. Anyways, I dont plan on owning any yet until I get an apartment/condo/house of my own. I was thinking about keeping a small leopard or redfoot in a small waterland land tub (while in an apartment at college and when I move out take it with me) however I don't think the landlords would like that, and it might be a pain to move aha.

Back on topic again, I ask that everyone please bear with me and my uneducated questions! Haha
Welcome to tfo. You're lucky to have seen them in their natural environment. I have 3 Redfoots

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hey Nick. Welcome to the Forum. Observing tortoises in the wild is a treat for sure. If you took any pictures we would love to see them. Illinois is not such a terrible place. I grew up there and went to college in Champaign. I must admit that California is a more tortoise friendly climate than Illinois.

Astrochelys

Thanks guys!

And Illinois has weird regulations everywhere, but mainly in always jealous of those who live in Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Florida, Maine, and everywhere else that has more wildlife haha.

I'm actually going to Champaign myself! Haha

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Astrochelys.
Good name.
Saw you around yesterday, but hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Ask away, as you've seen, someone will always be able to help.
Always better to research before the event.
Enjoy the forum.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks guys!
I'm actually going to Champaign myself! Haha
Go Illini! I was in Champaign last February for a visit. Not good tortoise weather at that time. But I do miss Champaign. If I ever where to move back to Illinois it would be to the Champaign area. Been in San Diego area for 35 years, so it's hard to imagine living anywhere else.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Nick!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Red foots rule ! I have five reds. Welcome to TFO!

Attachments

• 1431130692601.jpg
    1431130692601.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1431130718112.jpg
    1431130718112.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 8

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Nick welcome to the TFO from AZ. Torts rule!
So what are we eating tonight my wife says I'm not domesticated yet .and you don't have torts yet I'll bring all mine . Get dinner ready !

Astrochelys

Thanks everyone! I'll try not to pester the members here too much by asking too many questions haha

Go Illini! I was in Champaign last February for a visit. Not good tortoise weather at that time. But I do miss Champaign. If I ever where to move back to Illinois it would be to the Champaign area. Been in San Diego area for 35 years, so it's hard to imagine living anywhere else.

Yup, go Illini! San Diego? Lucky! Haha, I'm really jealous

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome to a wonderful mine of information and inspiration!