New Red Foot Tortoise Health Concern

FCExotics

Hey everyone! I'm new here and new to tortoises (I breed panther chameleons and poison dart frogs). I need some opinions from those of you more experienced with tortoises than myself. I've always admired them, and this is my first pair. I picked them up over the weekend at the Hamburg reptile show, and have them all set up in a 6' by 2.5' enclosure. They're breathing normally and have clear eyes and nose and are absolute little eating machines! However upon getting them situated I gave them their first soak last night and noticed what appears to be the start of shell rot or some sore of shell fungus on their underside. It's not flakey and doesn't scrape off (I gave them a light scrubbing with betadine and treated with 1% clotrimazole antifungal cream as a preventative last night - it still looks the same tonight). The plastron is also not as solid as the carapace - it's softer - but it is my understanding to be normal as they are so young. What do you all think? Should I keep treating with the clotrimazole (brand name Lotrimine) and how often?

I'm not sure how great of care they under before I picked them up but I have them under heat and UVB and feeding on endive, radicchio, romaine, escarole and the occasional strawberry or prickly pear fruit. They also get Mazuri tortoise diet offered daily; and everything is dusted with calcium + D3. I've only had them for a couple days now. Lemme know what you all think. Pictures attached and thank you in advance!!!

44516c5bb6d8b66c7ce17ac3af3fc00e.jpg
6166fbc825c735ef645c749700f1e5c2.jpg
67c0c45f9126afec53f87dccfc22d806.jpg
78882dbf938a9b2bb1798637fdda7597.jpg
26dbb74209e24e2cca3097f12f984fcc.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have it under control. An aid to making sure shell rot doesn't recur is to have the top layer of substrate dry while the underlayment is moist. To achieve this, you pour water into the corner of the habitat so it flows across the bottom, under the substrate instead of wetting the top.

Keep up the application of lotrimin until you start to see a difference in the way the shell looks.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Definitely keep applying the lotrimin.... It will take some time for it to begin clearing up. Light scrubbing with a toothbrush during soaks should also help loosen some of the dead shell matter and make room for healthy growth.

+ 1 on Yvonnes suggestion(s) about the water.

The calcium and UVB will help harden up their shells- they were probably kept cold and damp, resulting in weak carapace and start of shell rot.... Good thing you rescued them before the respiratory infections began.

What type of bulb are you using for UVB? Just asking, as the coil types are known to cause eye damage. Do some searching on the forum here and you can see the facts. The consensus is generally to opt for Mercury Vapor bulbs instead, as they provide heat and UVB all in one.

Keep up the great work and welcome to the forum!!!

FCExotics

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! And thank you for your replies and suggestions! I'm in love with them!

I'm keeping up with the Lotrimine regime every other day until i rid of the fungus, the one little guy has improved dramatically since I started treatment - the other I don't see much of a difference yet.

As for UVB I'm using the repti-glo 10.0 (I think, I'm not home to check right now) strip bulb.

Keeping them nice and humid otherwise! Thanks again everyone!

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
great news! they look healthy and happy. Just keep an eye out for any aggressive behavior-sometime one will try and dominate the other......

Enjoy!