New Red Foot

Mandy_123

Hello everyone. I'm Mandy and I got my first tortoise - a red foot 2 months ago. I just love this baby so muuuuuuuuch! The cutie is 2.4 inches and weighs 80 grams. The seller told me it's a girl and about one year old.

The picture was taken when she was trying to escape from the indoor enclosure. Now she likes sleeping on my bedroom floor and taking a walk around the bedroom after breakfast.IMG_20151003_124113.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He's beautiful!

Welcome to the forum!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
salutations. Great looking tortoise.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Mandy,and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your lovely little redfoot.
Have you read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/ ???
And our redfoots section under species specific ?
Be careful letting your tortoise sleep and walk about on the bedroom floor.
Temperatures and humidity are very hard to control there and their may be draughts, as well as little objects or even dust bunnies that could be consumed and make the little one very ill.

Mandy_123

Hello, Mandy,and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your lovely little redfoot.
Have you read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/ ???
And our redfoots section under species specific ?
Be careful letting your tortoise sleep and walk about on the bedroom floor.
Temperatures and humidity are very hard to control there and their may be draughts, as well as little objects or even dust bunnies that could be consumed and make the little one very ill.
Thanks and the baby's back in the enclosure. I'm reading up on the great threads and would follow the advices given. Being new to tortoises I'm just so grateful for this forum.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Too cute, share more photos, I love redfoots.

yillt

Welcome. That tortoise is VERY CUTE. I've always wanted a red foot. :D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A gorgeous little tort! GOD bless.Would love to see more pics of her.:)

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome Mandy, she is lovely!
Have you given her a name yet?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I named her Dulcie.:tort::<3:
Pretty name for a pretty tort!

Just looing at the pic again - if she is on plastic drawer/cupboard liner there keep an eye on Dulcie with that. I used it for a while thinking it would be a good grip mat, but caught my leopard taking a tiny nibble off the edge. He may just have been investigating and there weren't any big chunks missing but I removed mine just in case he got a taste for it anyway. I read a sad post about a tort that died recently from eating foam.
It will prob be OK as a waterproof base under substrate though.

Last edited:

Mandy_123

Pretty name for a pretty tort!

Just looing at the pic again - if she is on plastic drawer/cupboard liner there keep an eye on Dulcie with that. I used it for a while thinking it would be a good grip mat, but caught my leopard taking a tiny nibble off the edge. He may just have been investigating and there weren't any big chunks missing but I removed mine just in case he got a taste for it anyway. I read a sad post about a tort that died recently from eating foam.
It will prob be OK as a waterproof base under substrate though.
Thanks for the warning and advice Lyn. It's always been naturally moist in the last couple of months, never dropped below 70% - 90%, so I hadn't yet thought about doing any moisture-holding substrate. But shouldn't gamble with safety issues, as you mentioned. Today I've already got coconut fiber and put in as the top layer, trying to do just about everything right. Hope the tortie happy with the new bedding.