New Redfoot Tortoise... hiding a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_Millz

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! Let me first say that this tortoise forum is a really awesome place to find information, answers, etc. I live in Las Vegas and just recently acquired a redfoot tortoise. We are not sure on the gender as he is only about 1 1/2 years old. We decided to name him Bernie as this name would work for either a male or a female.

With him, we also got a ZooMed tortoise house - the wooden ones where one side is dark and the other has a grated top to let light in. We have a cypress mulch, a water bowl that he can climb into, and a food dish. We also have a heat bulb and a UVB bulb. We got him later in the day on Saturday (it is now Tuesday morning). I have been watching his behavior rather closely and notice that without me physically moving him into the bright side where his food or water bowl are, he stays burrowed in on the darker side. In my research that I have been doing, I am HOPING he is just doing this because of the stress of moving to a new home and that in a few days he will be more active. Any advice would be very welcomed! He is my first tortoise so I am very cautious and am a worrier.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Welcome. (Bump) :cool: Someone will be here soon to give you educated advice.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Do you know what the temps inside the whole enclosure?

It could be just a normal thing they do or it could be temp related.

B_Millz

5 Year Member
Thank you for the prompt reply! I believe that under the light it is in 90's and in the cooler end it is about 75. I have also been watering down the cypress bed at least every morning, sometimes a bit in the afternoon too. It is dry in the Vegas desert so I am doing that to raise the humidity.

dmarcus said:

shelli2012

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Hello and Welcome!
I just got a redfoot yesterday and I am also a first time tortoise owner! So far Shelli has also stayed in her hide the majority of the time with the exception of eating when we first brought her home. I read that it is fairly common for the first few days, but hopefully they will get comfortable and come out to say hi soon!

B_Millz

5 Year Member
The temperature under the heat bulb is in the 90's and in hide area it is about 75. I also forgot to mention that I do wet down the cypress mulch at least every morning and sometimes a bit in the afternoon too. Since it is so dry in the desert, I have to do that to keep up the humidity.

I really hope he is just adjusting to his new home. He is so cute, I just love him!

dmarcus said:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi B_Millz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
It is normal for them to spend a lot of time hiding. The cool end is a tad cool. I'd go at least 80 degrees. I'd also cool down the hot end a few degrees. As far as him hiding,you might want to try more subdued lighting. He might be trying to tell you he prefers it a little cooler and darker than the other end.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Being a Las Vegas native myself I understand how the weather is out there and I struggled as a new tortoise owner with my first tortoise and the lack of humidity out there. Just do what was said above and see how things go.

B_Millz

5 Year Member
I am so grateful for the warm welcome and all the responses! It is so helpful to know that this resource exists.

What is a good way to subdue the lighting? It very well may be a bit bright in there. Would it help if I raised the lamp? Or is there something additional that can be done to subdue it? Also, is there something that can be done to boost the cool end a few degrees? I'm assuming an under tank heater (like what I use with my other reptiles) wouldn't work since his enclosure is made of wood.

Thank you all again! Finding friendly sources of information is really difficult on the Internet :p

jackrat said:
It is normal for them to spend a lot of time hiding. The cool end is a tad cool. I'd go at least 80 degrees. I'd also cool down the hot end a few degrees. As far as him hiding,you might want to try more subdued lighting. He might be trying to tell you he prefers it a little cooler and darker than the other end.

B_Millz

5 Year Member
Hi Shelli (or who I assume is Shell's pet parent)! I see you are from Minnesota - that is where I grew up! I love it there. Has your tort eaten since bringing him home? Bernie only eats when I put him by his food and even then it is in small amounts. I hope that you are correct in that it this is common behavior the first few days.

shelli2012 said:
Hello and Welcome!
I just got a redfoot yesterday and I am also a first time tortoise owner! So far Shelli has also stayed in her hide the majority of the time with the exception of eating when we first brought her home. I read that it is fairly common for the first few days, but hopefully they will get comfortable and come out to say hi soon!

B_Millz

5 Year Member
Hello Yvonne,
You can refer to me is Leah if you'd like! My fiance's name is Ben and he may occasionally be accessing this account, but I will be the primary user.

emysemys said:
Hi B_Millz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

shelli2012

5 Year Member
Minnesota
B_Millz said:
Hi Shelli (or who I assume is Shell's pet parent)! I see you are from Minnesota - that is where I grew up! I love it there. Has your tort eaten since bringing him home? Bernie only eats when I put him by his food and even then it is in small amounts. I hope that you are correct in that it this is common behavior the first few days.

Hi. My name is Caryn :). That's awesome that you're from Minnesota! It's a great place to live but I don't exactly love winter :). Shelli only ate when we first put her in her new home. She ate quite a bit and them immediately went into her hide. Since then she hasn't come out (at least not while we are home) I did take her out this evening and set her in her water and she stuck her head right into the water and drank and then went right back into her hide. I'm hoping it's just and adjustment thing. I'm of course an extreme worrier lol.

B_Millz

5 Year Member
Caryn, I'm an extreme worrier too! I know I need to give it awhile before he gets comfortable, but am quite impatient! Are you planning on keeping Shelli outside at all during the summer? Obviously not during the winter... yikes! That is something I don't miss from Minnesota.

shelli2012 said:
B_Millz said:

Hi. My name is Caryn :). That's awesome that you're from Minnesota! It's a great place to live but I don't exactly love winter :). Shelli only ate when we first put her in her new home. She ate quite a bit and them immediately went into her hide. Since then she hasn't come out (at least not while we are home) I did take her out this evening and set her in her water and she stuck her head right into the water and drank and then went right back into her hide. I'm hoping it's just and adjustment thing. I'm of course an extreme worrier lol.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
You can purchase heat cord that is placed in the substrate. I use it and am very satisfied with the results. You can run the light for a shorter period of time. I just use ambiant room light.

shelli2012

5 Year Member
Minnesota
We haven't decided about the outdoors portion. The weather is so unpredictable and I'm afraid it will get too cold too quickly. So we are still trying to think about that. I know we will definately bring her out when it's nice out, but as for having an enclosure that she can stay in for long periods of time, were just not sure.

tortuga_mel

5 Year Member
Indiana
Welcome, he may just need time to warm up to you. Keep in min red foots tend to hide. As long as he's eating and all I wouldn't be too worries

Status
Not open for further replies.