New Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Hi Everyone! I got a new redfoot the other day and I would like to know what sub species it is and possibly the sex. I think its a girl but I want to have you guys confirm that. She is 6 inches long and I havent weighed her yet. Right now I am soaking her so I will weigh her afterwards. I dont have a name for her yet but I was thinking about naming her after a butterfly because of her two scutes that look like a butterfly.
001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

008.JPG

003.JPG

008.JPG

Just weighed her and she is 530g

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Absolutely georgous!! Welcome to the world of Redfoots. You will love her! I love the two scutes that look like a butterfly.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I am glad you opened your heart up to another tortoise to love. Red foots are great. Every day I learn something new.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I believe "butterfly" in Spanish is "Mariposa."

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Very nice! Looks female to me too, and is a Northern group, probably from the eastern area of Venezuela to whatever it is- Suriname?

I noticed what looks like a little old plastron rot- nothing to worry about since it looks like it is healed. I also noticed the odd formation of two of the vertebral scutes- the two that look oddly close together. I wonder what did that. It isn't anything to worry about, just distinctive and interesting.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree :) Female Northern.

She looks to be 3 or 4 years old. I would leave her inside and let her settle in. Not good to keep bringing her to new places when she is new to you. Just let her settle in to her new enclosure and surrounding. You can bring her out a bit later in the year when temperatures are in the 80's.

To get those 2 vertebral scutes to split and grow apart like they normally would, you can put vasoline on that seam. Keep this up until you see new growth between the 2 scutes.

Danny

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Danny- interesting bit on the scutes! Where in the heck did you learn that????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That darned Danny is just a font of information! I think he was born that way because he's way to young to have learned it all.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I think I came up with that myself :p when it happened to a young tortoise of mine many years ago. The younger an animal is, the better it works.

Danny

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Marty333 said:
Another question is what is the best diet schedule? And what is the est fruit and vegetables to feed a redfoot? For protein I feed him Blue Wilderness Duck cat food.

Marty, my feeding schedule is VERY simple.

Every 2 or 3 days I feed them. Greens are the main staple, although there isn't a real specific green to give them, just what is in season will work.

Avoid spinach, there is actually TOO much nutrients in it ( I know, that's crazy, right? Too good for them!).

As far as fruits go, I give them fruit once a week usually, although sometimes I skip a week. The problem with fruits is that they will get "addicted" to them, and sometimes hold out eating, because they're waiting for fruit. It's good for a treat, but never as a diet staple.

http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

THat's terry's guide for red foot care. I recomend studying it, it's the best resource that you will EVER find for redfoots.

If you need any help, just ask :)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Mine really like kiwis. That's actually going to be on the menu for them today :) For greens you can use a lot of the "normal" greens - spring mix, endive, escarole, romaine, etc. RFs like cactus fruits, kiwis, mangoes, apples basically anything you'd like in that department. Avoid bananas though, not sure why but they don't seem to be very easy on a tort's system.

I feed about every day. Not every day, but most of the days. I do skip every now and again. I don't have a day-by-day schedule that I adhere to (monday isn't kiwi day, tuesday isn't break day, wednesday isn't green day, etc) but I do try to get some fruit every week and some protein every 1-2 weeks.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Yes, I forgot protein!! Every two weeks I offer boiled eggs (Not a huge fan of cat food, but to each their own!)

Status
Not open for further replies.