New RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hello guys. So I finally finally got my new RT. His name
Is bubba lol. Anyway I got him from a local pet store. He was there for a week and they fed him spring mix. When I held him he pooped really watery and runny so I don't know if he has a parasite or if it's just his diet. I'm gonna change it and soak him and see if it continues. The humidity in my tank is 45% and the temps 95-100 degrees. He is currently in play sand but I am changing that tomorrow with coco coir and husk. Will he be okay and am I everything right? This is my first tortoise. Thanks for the help!

Whoops sorry guys I forgot to mention the temps are 95-100 on the basking side, 80 in the middle and 70 at the cool end. Also he is in a 40g breeder tank but will be outside for most of the day and brought in at night

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Can you post pics of your russian? He probably does have parasites because im assuming since you got him from a pet store he is wildcaught. It probably is his diet as well as they were probably giving him vegetables and fruits and other stuff he should only eat as a treat once in a great while. The temps are good for him. What are you keeping him in? And congrats!!!

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Congrats! I just adopted my first Russian as well.

I agree that he probably has parasites if he's from a pet store. It's almost guaranteed that he's wildcaught. I'd take him to the vet. Good luck with him!

Also, Bubba is my affectionate thing for everything, hahah

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Sure I'll post pics as soon as I get home! I'll change his diet and if his poop continues I have an excellent exotic vet who is the head vet at the local zoo. I also have him in a 40gallom breeder but I know that isn't too good with the glass. I'm going to invest in a Rubbermaid container. His outdoor pen should be good though.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Sounds like you got a good plan. The 40 gallon breeder is too small and the big rubbermaid container will work great for when you have to bring him inside. Have you started his outside enclosure yet?

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Well it's all set up but I'm gonna give him a week in his 40gallon breeder to settle in and then I'll start with the outside. Hopefully he's okay.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
His eyes are good and I didn't see anything nose wise. I'll check tonight. I'm
Afraid to hold him because his poop was rather.. Nasty when liquidy. How often do you think he will poop a day?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I have no clue. Im sure you will find out soon enough going through his enclosure. Since its all liquidy it could be several times a day.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Ahh. I mean I want to give him some time to get settled before I drag him
To the vet but I dont know how bad his parasites are. I want to let him out of his enclosure to get some excercise but I'm afraid he's going to poop everywhere.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would get him to the vet whenever I could. You dont want him getting settled and then unsettled again. Plus your vet will be able make your tort happy and healthy. :)

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Hes chopping down on some apple and tomatoes atm. This is a once in a lifetime thing for him, just didnt have time to get him greens today. Tommorow he will start his all inclusive green diet. =]

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
He may have loose stools after the tomatoes, but I understand you didn't have greens.

Remember, even weeds and flowers count! (edible plants below, generally a good site for info)

http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm

Soak him daily for a few days. That can stimulate the digestive tract a bit.

Let him out in his outdoor enclosure for a few hours. He will love it. Bringing him in at night to burrow down is fine. Unless your house is <60F, you won't need supplemental heat at night.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Also I meant to say. My family friend owns an exotic vet and do you think it will be okay if I just brought in his stool for testing and if he has parasites just give him in the antibiotics? Will a checkup be necessary?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
lMorphine said:
Also I meant to say. My family friend owns an exotic vet and do you think it will be okay if I just brought in his stool for testing and if he has parasites just give him in the antibiotics? Will a checkup be necessary?

I would definitely take a stool sample (when you get a fresh one put it in a ziploc bag and take it down there). If it were me I would just get the checkup and then you can find out if anything else is wrong with him and it can be caught before it gets worse.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Assuming it is a wild tortoise, pooping a watery substance could be a good thing, it is a defensive action taken by a healthy animal .So I wouldn't be that concerned yet about it, give it time to eat the proper diet that you feed it and see what the poop looks like as time goes on. My guess is with proper diet and less stress you new tortoise will be just fine. Good Luck with him.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Thanks. I have no problem taking him to a vet but the check up alone is 150$ so its quite the burden but for bubba its worth it lol

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
010.jpg

013.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

014.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.