New Russian Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
Almost done with a new, larger enclosure for Russians. Ran out of 1x6 to finish up. So, next week sometime
e3b30202.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Nice! So the 1x6's are upright and you screwed them into a cross piece above and below? Nice and high sides.
Those cement blocks will make a nice hide or sight block (with some plants in them?) when you are done with the current use!

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I like the idea of plants in one of the blocks. Yeah, 1x6 are screwed into 2x4 top and bottom and are 12 inches tall, it's 9' x 7' with a boysenberry bush in the middle which he seems to love the leaves on.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I haven't done anything, yet. Back cinderblock wall goes pretty deep and the concrete extends out several inches. Plus I've lined the back with bricks which will, hopefully, sink in if they get dug under. The front, if he digs out he's in the yard, no biggie. But there's sod that I planted last spring which his that nylon mesh in it. Probably can't dig through that. At some point I'll probably remove the top several inches a foot or so around the edge and lay some wire mesh and then recover it.

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
Ok, just kinda curious as to what you have done, and others have done to prevent an escape dig.

I have a Russian and am contemplating on how to do it when I get a proper outdoor enclosure done up for him.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have done a few different things to prevent dig outs.
1.Lining the inside edge with the inexpensive 8" x6" pavers (the long way, of course), seems to deter them (thanks for Yvonne for that suggestion). They walk the perimeter, but don't seem to want to dig under it. This has worked very well for me.
Having attractive burrows in the middle helps too.
2.Another suggestion is pounding in 12" rebar down every 4" or so. This is an alternative to digging a deep trench and lining it with concrete or wire. This is a bit easier to do before you have walls, but I have managed.
3.Then there is always the chore of digging a 12" deep (or more) trench and lining with wire/concrete/pavers, etc.
4. If you are creating a raised bed, just tack heavy duty plastic garden fencing to the bottom, flip it over, and back fill with soil. This has to be done generally at the onset.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Thanks for posting, I needed some ideas on how to build an enclosure for the female russian I picked up yesterday,I have never had a tortoise that is so busy, she hasn't stopped moving and digging since I got her, she did take a break sometime today to eat some weeds I gave her. Do you think ceramic tiles either 12 in or 16 in would work in place of the pavers around the inside walls?

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Len said:
Thanks for posting, I needed some ideas on how to build an enclosure for the female russian I picked up yesterday,I have never had a tortoise that is so busy, she hasn't stopped moving and digging since I got her, she did take a break sometime today to eat some weeds I gave her. Do you think ceramic tiles either 12 in or 16 in would work in place of the pavers around the inside walls?

I'd be afraid that the tiles would be too light and moveable. But if you bury them a few inches it may work.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yvonne suggested the pavers. I think the tiles might be to light and shift around. The pavers are nice because one placed, they stay put.
Could you dig a trench and lay the tiles up on end, overlapped? As long as the tops rested against the wood or cement block side, they should be stable. (of course, that gets you back to digging a trench...)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
After I ask the question I thought about using vinyl siding for the walls, if I use the 16 in tiles and some lumber, say 2x4s to strengthen the siding and set the siding attached to the 2x4s on the tiles, I will still have at least 12 inches of tile inside the enclosure, I will be able to caulk (glue) the vinyl siding to the tiles, so they can't move. I set bird baths, large flower pots, etc on tiles in the yard and after they set for awhile they are hard to move and get up. -I think it may work-

Status
Not open for further replies.