New Russian Tort

Ashleydearx

Location (City and/or State)
Chattanooga, TN
Hi everyone! I got a new Russian tortoise. He’s my very first tortoise, i got him at a reptile show. I was going to get a different tortoise there but seen this guy and fell in love with him. I want to see what y’all think of him. They said he is 4.5-5yrs old. I’m going to look around to see if i can find a vet around here for him to be seen to make sure everything is all good with him. We named him Sheldon. IMG_5225.jpgIMG_5221.jpg does his shell look okay to y’all?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He looks ok for a wild caught tortoise - about par for the course. And he's more than likely about 10 or 12 years or older.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Kinda looks like he might have gone through a period of dryer than usual conditions? It could just be the photo. Nothing to worry about.

A fine looking tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Eventually he'll need a fecal exam to check for parasites, but you can let him settle into his new place for a month or so first.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi and welcome! He is so lovely! I have a wild caught Russian too so they are my fav. Did they give you good advice at the reptile show? I ask cause I got all bad info at the rescue where I got mine. Plus tons of bad info online. This forum is the best and has a great care sheet and a thread called beginner mistakes that were a huge help to me. Check em out and have fun getting to know your new tort!

Ashleydearx

Chattanooga, TN
Hi and welcome! He is so lovely! I have a wild caught Russian too so they are my fav. Did they give you good advice at the reptile show? I ask cause I got all bad info at the rescue where I got mine. Plus tons of bad info online. This forum is the best and has a great care sheet and a thread called beginner mistakes that were a huge help to me. Check em out and have fun getting to know your new tort!

Thanks! And no they did not, i knew what they were telling me was all wrong from everything I’ve read on this forum so far! I only stick to advice and information from here!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi and a warm welcome to the forum to you and your cute tort.