New Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I got my tortoise from Petco Sunday! For the most part he has been in his hide. He came out tonight and roamed around a bit. He went under his basking light for a while then he pooped and passed urine with urates. He has not touched any food but I have soaked him twice. Since he was bought from petco when/should I take him to the vet they are contracted with to be tested for worms. I have 15 days and they will cover the cost. How will I know if he has worms?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1371517604.773996.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1371517622.233462.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1371517650.602937.jpg
I will have to get a background for the tank until I can move him into a Rubbermaid tube. He is trying to get thru the tank which I've heard about but hopes he wouldn't since he was in one at petco. We are really enjoying our new tort[TURTLE]

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Cute tort....crazy steep dangerous ramp :D....you may want to remove that ramp in the event he does climb and falls off....right into the water dish....you can also use wrapping paper or white copy paper to temp place around the glass exterior until you get him into a larger enclosure......are you setting up an outdoor enclosure for him? Tortoise really thrive outdoors and especially this species....

Parasites; just get a fresh poo sample from him and get it to the vet, they can test and advise you then....this way you can avoid any further stress to the tort....the less stress on the tort the healthier for him..

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
You might want to put some sort of railing on the ramp and upper floor area. It looks like a really nice enclosure!

VladimirPDX

5 Year Member
Hi! Cute tort! I got my russian from petsmart, he has worms [DISAPPOINTED BUT RELIEVED FACE] but he is getting treatment from a vet so it's all good. Nice enclosure

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Like Ascott said, it's easy to test for parasites: just bring in a fresh fecal sample. However, there is some debate as to how to deal with newly acquired tortoises. Some folks like to administer prophylactic (preventive) meds, but because these can be irritating to the gut, others (like me) advocate only treating animals that are showing signs of an active parasitic infestation.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You've got a nice tortoise and all the components of a good set up (except I would use a piece of slate to feed him off of to help keep his beak trimmed). But I think it is really too small.
If you got the 40 gal aquarium at the Pet store, get a refund if you can.

Then get a Rubbermaid 50 gal and use that. There is a little ledge in them, and I was able to cut a piece of wood and wedge it in there on one side cross wise. Makes a nice hide, and also you can create a ramp up to it that won't be so steep. Still plenty of side to keep him from climbing out.
I had a set up with 2 Rubbermaid 50 gals connected by a pass through. This created even more space.

Or, think about getting a used bookcase (Craigslist, Goodwill)

And see this current post, in case they might be in your area (feed stores also carry these kind of larger tubs);
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-73279.html

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Georgia
ascott said:
Cute tort....crazy steep dangerous ramp :D....you may want to remove that ramp in the event he does climb and falls off....right into the water dish....you can also use wrapping paper or white copy paper to temp place around the glass exterior until you get him into a larger enclosure......are you setting up an outdoor enclosure for him? Tortoise really thrive outdoors and especially this species....

Parasites; just get a fresh poo sample from him and get it to the vet, they can test and advise you then....this way you can avoid any further stress to the tort....the less stress on the tort the healthier for him..

Yeah I noticed that yesterday when he started climbing up the ramp that I needed to put some railing on it. I was afraid of him falling into the water dish. When I made it I didn't intend for it to be so tall. I will eventually get him into a tote or get my husband to build a tort table.

Heliopteryx said:
You might want to put some sort of railing on the ramp and upper floor area. It looks like a really nice enclosure!

Will do! Thanks!

GeoTerraTestudo said:
Like Ascott said, it's easy to test for parasites: just bring in a fresh fecal sample. However, there is some debate as to how to deal with newly acquired tortoises. Some folks like to administer prophylactic (preventive) meds, but because these can be irritating to the gut, others (like me) advocate only treating animals that are showing signs of an active parasitic infestation.

What are the signs of parasitic infestation? The manager at petco said they have already been "de-wormed" when I asked her, but who knows. I wanted to get a fecal test done just so I can know for sure.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
MsBeBe_E said:
What are the signs of parasitic infestation? The manager at petco said they have already been "de-wormed" when I asked her, but who knows. I wanted to get a fecal test done just so I can know for sure.

The signs of a heavy infestation of parasites (worms and/or protozoa) are diarrhea, loss of appetite, and loss of energy. Actually, most wild tortoises carry a small load of parasites all the time, but they don't do any harm because there are only a few. Tortoises seem to eat more bitter, toxic plants like buttercups and poppies when they have a heavier infestation, to self-medicate and help get rid of them. However, if the parasites are too abundant, then the tortoise needs medical assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.