New shell baby mom

Frankie's landlord

Hello, my name is Sheryl and I adopted Frankie yesterday. I was told he is 3 months old. (not sure male or female but Frankie works for both). I have been reading the website for a while now and am pretty sure we have habitat right for now. We live in Michigan, Detroit metro area. Frankie will be indoors until the weather warms up.

My concern is that he was so active when we picked him up and now since we got home he has stayed in shell either in the warm moist hide or out under a plant. He has eaten collard greens and kale yesterday from the breeder. I have fresh wheat grass and dandelion greens for him but he has not eaten today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Here is the care info you will need to raise him up healthy.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Most people, including breeders and pet shops keep them far took dry and not warm enough.

Did the breeder tell you he will get to 100+ pounds in 10 years and will knock holes in the dry wall when he's not digging to China in the back yard in summer? You've got a monster on your hands there...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sheryl, and welcome to the Forum!

In case you didn't know, calcium is what makes a tortoise's shell and bones strong and healthy. He gets his calcium from the food he eats and from the occasional supplement you add to the food. His body can't process the calcium unless he gets vitamin d3 from the sun. We get around the "sun" thing by providing a UVB light over an indoor tortoise. I use this kind because it provides heat and UVB all in one fixture:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

But you can also buy a tube-type fluorescent bulb for the UVB. Whatever you do, don't allow yourself to be talked into buying one of these:

CFL.jpg

They can harm baby tortoise's eyes.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! We use to have member up that ways who raised these guys. Maybe you lucked and got one from him. Any how so glad your here.:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome to the forum. Listen to the guys and gals above. They know pretty much all there is to know between them and give sound advice. They are trying to help, not scare you. What they say if for the benefit of you and Frankie, they're good people who care 'bout torts and will do all they can to ensure your baby has a good life.
Frankie will soon settle in and start eating as long as he is kept warm and the humidity is fine, so no need to worry, just look around the site and gradually make conditions better as you go, one thing at a time, important things first, details later.
Good luck

Frankie's landlord

Hello and welcome.

Here is the care info you will need to raise him up healthy.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Most people, including breeders and pet shops keep them far took dry and not warm enough.

Did the breeder tell you he will get to 100+ pounds in 10 years and will knock holes in the dry wall when he's not digging to China in the back yard in summer? You've got a monster on your hands there...

All great stuff, thank you for the links...

I did my research before we got him.. I love them big....my 150 lb German Shepherd "Big Ben" will attest to that..I was just concerned because he seems to sleep a lot. I have the right lights and heat. Ihave not seen him eat today and am just concerned. He did his laps around his habitat then just borrowed in and went back to sleep.

Thank you

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Sheryl welcome to the TFO from AZ ! I was from Saginaw but toooo much snow . Have a great tort day !

Frankie's landlord

Hello Sheryl welcome to the TFO from AZ ! I was from Saginaw but toooo much snow . Have a great tort day !

You had the right Idea Leaving here...lol do you have sulcata? my babie has not eaten since I brought him Saturday. I am sure the light and heat are correct. I have the moist hide he seems to spend all his time in. I am getting really worried, I know the babies need to eat a lot to grow. At what point do I need to panic...

Just worried

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
If you are sure you have everything with heating and lighting set up right he may just be warming up to his new home, many people experience their new tortoises refusing to eat or move much because they are adjusting to the new place and surroundings. So if you truly are sure you have everything right give him a few more days. Have you soaked him yet?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Not time to worry yet. My Tidgy was a tiny baby when I got her and didn't eat for the first four days or so. I was so worried, so I know how you feel.
It can take time for them to settle in to their new homes, they won't eat until they feel secure. Give him some space and don't handle him too much so that he can feel his territory is secure and belongs to him, bath him often (which I know is a bit contradictory to the not bother him idea) and if possible put some juice from mashed greens in his water so he's taken in some nutrients. Offer him tasty treats that you think he might like, eg.tomato. This is not a good idea as a staple part of his diet, but if it can help get him eating at the beginning, it's ok in small quantities.
Honestly, I'm sure he'll start eating in a couple of days and the joy and relief you'll feel when he eats his first meal, even the first nibble will be worth the anguish. A treasured moment for me.
I had a lunch engagement, but just as I was due to leave Tidgy took her first bite. I stayed and hand fed her for 40 minutes, she was starving. Late for lunch, but I talked about nothing else. Don't think she's stopped eating since!
Be patient, it'll be fine.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Hope he eats for you soon. Pretty soon you will wish he would stop eating everything.