New sponsor for Galapagos Tortoise Alliance

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
SensorPush has become a sponsor of the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance. The sensors allow you to monitor on your smartphone the temperature and humidity and it stores readings to when you check you can see a graph of the entire history by hour, day, week, etc. If you install a wifi gateway, you can monitor this from anywhere in the world. So while on vacation, I can check temperatures and even set alarms on my phone to ensure everything is working properly and keeping temperatures where they need to be. One gateway can pair with an unlimited number of sensors.

I have been using SensorPush temperature/humidity sensors for several years now to monitor my night boxes, enclosures and incubation boxes. I have come to communicate several times with one of the owners describing my Temperature Dependent Sex Determination studies with my Burmese Stars. I place a sensor in the incubation box of every clutch of Burmese Star eggs, and graph the temperature and humidity every 30 minutes over the entire diapause and incubation period. For example here is a graph from one of the 2021 clutches:

Incubation Graph 2021 clutch 7.png

So I can reference this with the sex of the hatchlings as later determined. For my own monitoring I have highlighted what I believe female producing temps in pink and male in blue so I can easily see how much temperature degree days I have for the incubation duration. I then mark when the first pip occurs with hatchling number.

When explaining this to the owner of SensorPush and my desire to do this study with Galapagos for the GTA, he offered to sponsor the project and donate 30 of his most accurate sensors and a few gateways. So, although the laying females are at our Florida location, I can monitor the data here is California and download data to graph any time I wish for the project.

Here's the sensors marked and ready for placement in the incubation boxes as clutches are laid this year:

IMG_0235.jpg

Thank you SensorPush. We appreciate your support!

Galapagos Tortoise Alliance.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice! ??????

Those are the original model. We are using the extreme accuracy models for this project.

tortgiant

Netherlands
An exciting project. When do you expect to have the first definite results that would qualify papers to be published on your research?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
An exciting project. When do you expect to have the first definite results that would qualify papers to be published on your research?
We have lots of data compiled. Comparing that to the sex of the individual tortoises is now a waiting process. Sexing Galapagos Tortoises is normally possible at about 20 years of age or so. We do have a great veterinarian that does endoscoping and willing to do our tortoises. We are reluctant to do invasive procedures on such rare and valuable tortoises. It would take doing about 100 of ours to start - to get enough of a sample size on enough clutches to start drawing conclusions. This is a very long range project. The important steps now is to get data and meticulously keep track of which tortoise is which as they grow. That is a big part of what we are doing.